Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 05:53 AM

Default Pre-flop raises

Hi,

This is my first ever post, so please be gentle!

I'm playing micro-limits, I've read through SSHE twice and am working through third time. Recently I came across some advice on another site that seems to contradict SSHE (or at least qualifies it) re pre-flop raises with a good hand. I quote:

"If you are playing at a table where lots (if not all) of the people see the flop every single time and if you follow the starting hand suggestions from this site, then you will almost always want to refrain from pre-flop raising.....if you only raise with a very small number of premium hands then you are giving out too much information."

Any views on this, or has it been dealt with before, in which case could someone point me to the thread?

Many Thanks,

Paul
Old 05-02-2005, 06:09 AM

Default Re: Pre-flop raises

Thats rubbish.

You raise your premium hands for value. If 5 or 6+ ppl are regularly seeing flops some of them must be playing poor hands or marginal hands, your premium hands have an equity edge vs these hands and therefore you are missing out on tonnes of value if you dont raise.

Raising also allows you the opportunity to take control of the hand postflop and possibly fold better hands on the flop.

Value is the primary reason you will raise.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:13 AM

There would be some validity to that if more than say, 5%, of the players actually used the "information" to play better against you.

The other thing about the example given - at a table where almost everyone sees the flop every single time, it is wrong to only raise with "premium hands." For instance you're in LP and 4 or 5 limp to you. You should raise T9s. I would even raise 87s sometimes. So even if people were paying attention, they would see me raise stuff like that, and they would think, "Wow this guy suxx0rs" and then I would proceed to steal their bankroll.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:20 AM

Hehe, don;t worry about those other sites, always raise your premium hands for value.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:01 AM

Don't pfr a table full of bad players but especially resist the temptation to pfr your very best hands because that's giving the bad players too much information? There's something you don't hear everyday...
Old 05-02-2005, 11:06 AM

The answer is not to pre-flop raise with just a small number of premium hands.