Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-17-2003, 10:04 PM

Default Look Good, Play Good -- borne out by science?

In a recent thread on the news-views-gossip forum, there was a mini-debate about whether dressing well causes you to play better.

I'm wondering if there have been studies published in the psychological literature about dress codes and the effect they have on worker productivity. In the last few years businesses have gone back and forth from "casual Fridays" to "casual Friday every day of the week" back to strictly business attire.

I assume that some people do work more efficiently when dressed in a business suit, while others are more efficient when they dress for work the same way they would dress for a casual social event. For others, it makes no difference either way. I'm curious whether anyone's quantified this. Also are there any subtler effects.

Finally, would any results obtained for a workplace environment also apply to the poker table?

Of course there could be lots of other reasons to dress well while playing poker; for example as a courtesy to the players. I know I like it when others at the table wear nice clothes, even though my own priorities for attire are speed and comfort.