Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 03:40 PM

Default 55 against a loony

Villian is a 63/4/1.2 lunatic. He lost a few close hands recently and has been agressive at very strange times. For example he went into a betting war with ace high, eventually calling a river cap and lost to a boat. With those reads is it possible to lay this down anywhere?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB
Old 11-03-2005, 04:33 PM

Default Re: 55 against a loony

I agree with calling down.
I prefer to put the 1 extra SB preflop rather than on the flop (where it is nearly 100% sure you are going to get 3-bet and so you'll actually pay 2 extra SB with a weak hand)
Old 11-03-2005, 04:35 PM

call me weak but i think you gotta lay this down somewhere. even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. This is a great villain to have but pick your battles
Old 11-03-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

call me weak but i think you gotta lay this down somewhere. even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. This is a great villain to have but pick your battles

[/ QUOTE ]

I strongly disagree. I would probably cap preflop but its fine that you didnt. In these situations any paired board is a great flop, your raise is good. After this, the pot gets so big you need to call down. He could still easily have Ax or some random hand.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:13 PM

How far are you taking a hand like A9 against this type of opponent?
Old 11-03-2005, 08:51 PM

its ugly, but its fine.

i have some other thoughts about hands like these, but i'd rather talk to you online about them as they're better to discuss then state

stealthcow-
Old 11-03-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I strongly disagree. I would probably cap preflop but its fine that you didnt. In these situations any paired board is a great flop, your raise is good. After this, the pot gets so big you need to call down. He could still easily have Ax or some random hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

In priciple I agree a call-down is good against this type of opponent, but this is the worst possible river and I would fold here on the river. If he is semi-bluffing he literally makes every draw combination I can think of right now. The only thing you beat here is ace-high or a stone-cold bluff. I don't think you are good here 1/10.

On a sidenote, just cause it's a relatively large pot doesn't mean you "need to call".