Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 11:42 AM

Default Re: from an Ed Miller quiz...

i dunno...there are a lot of "poor" live players who will call two cold with nothing. hawaiian gardens anyone?

id vote for cring the flop btw.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:43 AM

I believe the idea behind checking the flop rather than leading is that we want the player on our left (pre-flop raiser) to lead so we can trap the field for 2 bets.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:08 PM

ed miller kinda confusing there..

I usually never slowplay sets on drawish boards..

Edit - unless of course the pot is small etc.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:16 PM

Raise because the only people here calling are those with a hand so make em pay. And you have a strong hand. If they got a gut they call, a K they call, hearts they call. So make em call. You dont want a gut or K folding to a turn raise because you have them sooooo beat especially the K.

And perhaps, just perhaps some AK that cold called or 22 player just might reraise you not suspecting you have a set. Usually players = raise on the turn to a set not the flop. MAKE EM PAY!
Old 07-21-2005, 12:21 PM

I limp re-raise the flop [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise because the only people here calling are those with a hand so make em pay. And you have a strong hand. If they got a gut they call, a K they call, hearts they call. So make em call. You dont want a gut or K folding to a turn raise because you have them sooooo beat especially the K.

And perhaps, just perhaps some AK that cold called or 22 player just might reraise you not suspecting you have a set. Usually players = raise on the turn to a set not the flop. MAKE EM PAY!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. Weak draws will fold for 2 bets cold. By letting them face 1 bet, you'll get weak draws to stay in for 1 bet instead of 2. The flush and straight draws aren't going anywhere anyways, this is the time to slowplay in order to build a pot and let weak draws stick in there.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How big does the pot have to be for you to raise here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd raise if everyone had put in 3 bets preflop, ie if the pot was 17SB. Sadly I've no mathematical justification for this.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:49 PM

I find this a very hard question to answer...

I mentioned 15SB in an earlier post, but if I had been give this question out of the blue without knowledge of Ed's position I bet I would have said 10-12.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:26 PM

You're not going to bet out a flush draw. You can charge the flush draw, but you also scare off the others who would probably stick around for 1 bet ("poor players"). The pot isn't huge yet and you have the majority of the field drawing near dead, so I'm just calling and hoping to bring everyone along for the ride. Even if the flush hits you have 7 outs to a better hand. If these are better players who aren't calling with weak hands here then I'm raising.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:56 PM

even at 2/4 I would not raise here... You what are being drawing too that will beat you if you give them a cheap card but they will fold if its 2 bets to them???

A3? 56?? 35?? I dont think any of these hands are caling 2 bets preflop. 56s.. maybe... chances are this opponent will call eitherway -- but this hand is not likely for all of your opponents to have so slow playing is the right move. Hopefully someone will draw top 2 on your here or something of the sort and no flush will hit.

If the turn is a dangerous card I would slow down (similar to the 2 overpair concept in SSHE). If it is a safe cards I would throw as many chips around as I am able to.

check/raise or leading depending on reads.

In terms of the pot size being big enough... I think 16 small bets or more would do it... giving the field 8:1 I don't think too many will fold.

Cheers