Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2004, 02:45 PM

Default Is it illegal to rent out a banquet hall for tourny?

Is it legal for me (I live in Ohio) to rent out a banquet hall to host a large tourny with buy-in? Is it also legal to charge an entrance fee to cover this cost. All buyin goes to prizes, and all of the entrance fee covers the cost of renting the room. Thanks
Old 03-30-2004, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Is it illegal to rent out a banquet hall for tourny?

I would guess in Ohio it is illegal. Aren't there very strict anti-gaming laws? Otherwise, if home games are legal, I don't imagine there would be a problem.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:51 PM

In general it is usually not illegal to hold a gambling event that is not for profit. I found this specific info for Ohio:

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Ohio Revised Code
Last visited 2003-9-7

Chapter 2915 contains the Penal Code provisions on Gambling.
1974 Committee Comment to H 511
The fundamental thrust of new Chapter 2915. is to prohibit the business of gambling without forbidding gambling carried on for pleasure rather than profit.

Under the chapter, all forms of gambling and activities in aid of it are illegal if carried on as a business, or for personal profit, or as a significant source of income or livelihood. Otherwise, no form of gambling is illegal. Gambling in public is prohibited to avoid enforcement problems, and this represents a partial exception to the general rule in the chapter.
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Basically the only question is if a banquet hall is a "public" place. I would say it is not when used for a private event. Just make sure you don't profit significantly.

Edit: The web page I found goes on to state that a "hall" is a public place. Check it out at http://www.gambling-law-us.com/State-Laws/Ohio/
Old 03-30-2004, 07:38 PM

When it speaks of personal profit, is it refering to the people holding the event of the individual gamblers? If it is refering the gamblers playing for personal profit, then it would be illegal.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:53 PM

My interpretation:
Whoever runs the tournament can make a profit, whoever wins the tournamnet can make income. It says in the law that it is illegal to make a "substantial source of income or livelihood."

Again, I believe the law allows for gambling, so long as no one makes a profit off of running something. Just the same, I can't run an office pool if I make money off of it (unless I win it, which is different). Basically, 100% of the take must go to prizes.

My question is, does the fact that the banquet hall will receive money make it illegal? They are not sponsoring or running the game, just selling me space (similar to chip makers who sell me there chips to play with, or makers of decks of cards). Perhaps it is just illegal to charge people to play (to pay for the rental) and instead I would be forced to pay the cost of the room rental.
Thanks again.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:38 PM

I think the real question is whether or not the hall is considered a public space. I believe it is under the Ohio law as I read it. Host the tourney in your home and you can probably avoid any issues.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:22 AM

If you're actually considering doing this, get a legal opinion first.