Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 01:23 AM

Default Two Problems with My Game. How do I Fix Them?

I've been thinking about my NL holdem game lately, and have pinpointed two possible weaknesses that I'd like advice on.

The first weakness is that I have is my natural disdain for slow playing just about any hand in a ring w/6 players or more. I seem to have a psychological block about allowing even the possiblity of letting other players to catch me when I think I'm ahead and often don't mix up my game enough with trapping. About the only time I find it in me to slow play is when I get heads up in a hand with someone who has been obviously getting out of line with overly aggressive play.

My second problem is that I have a very hard time making loose calls when faced with what I deem to be favorable implied odds. Just as I hate to let anyone chase me down, so do I hate to chase when I'm behind. I almost never call a pot sized raise to chase a flush even if I'm assured of busting a guy out if I hit it.

Now I know this is kind of a weird post, but I really need some insight. I know that generally, my desire to play "correctly" is a good thing. I mean, who complains that they don't chase enough hands, right? And one of the most common mistakes beginners make is slow playing too many good hands, so it can hardly be a problem that I rarely slow play can it?

But I'm thinking it might be a problem. I think I'm missing on some opportunities by not being more creative and sophisticated with my play once in awhile. Maybe it doesn't matter when I'm simply pushbotting against donkeys at SNG 11's, but what about at the next level or even in my home game?

Am I crazy? Are these really problems or do I just need to be reminded not to get caught up in fancy play syndrome? And if you agree that my failure to make a loose call or slow play a little more is a problem, then how do you suggest I mentally overcome my natural resistance to doing these things?
Old 11-18-2005, 09:35 AM

Default Re: Two Problems with My Game. How do I Fix Them?

Just a thought - Is it possible that both "problems" are related to self-image?

Do you fear that slow playing a hand will allow someone to catch up thereby creating the impression that you played the hand poorly?

Do you feel that you're too superior of a player to "chase" draws? And that somehow if you "chase" a draw and hit it, other players will think less of you? And you might be embarrassed?

Just a thought.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:50 AM

If you get too hooked on playing, "correctly," or what you deem to be "correct," your playstyle could turn weak-tight on you very fast which is an aweful thing. Make some loose, calls, borderline calls, maybe even some bad calls (slightly -EV) to set up an image and force yourself to mix your game up. You pinpointed your own errors. It's up to you to give yourself the mindset to act on these errors.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you fear that slow playing a hand will allow someone to catch up thereby creating the impression that you played the hand poorly?

Do you feel that you're too superior of a player to "chase" draws? And that somehow if you "chase" a draw and hit it, other players will think less of you? And you might be embarrassed?

Just a thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's a self image problem. I think it's more of a personality problem. I tend to be risk adverse in the sense that I'm not willing to take gambles on long shots unless I can definitely see an edge.

I'm ok with aggression. I'm good at being aggressive and don't mind taking a few chances as long as I'm the one initiating the action. Maybe this is due to the fact that the advantages are so evident. I mean, fold equity is pretty easy to grasp.

The more I think about it, though, the more I'm sure it's a larger issue. I've been risk adverse for my entire life. I should have quit my job years ago, but I'm good at what I do and the pay is enough to support my family.

Nevermind that I've stopped growing professionally, am failing to live up to my potential, and am currently bored out of my mind.

The fact is I consistently let good be the enemy of great.

So, here I am plugging away in my spare time at NL SNG 11's and I'm already stuck because my current system works well enough to win a couple of bucks off of the drunks, jackasses, and clueless housewives frequenting the tables.

The more I think about it, the more it pisses me off that I can't bring myself to make a loose call or two because some jackass on Party Poker might end up with my chips. God, what do I care? I don't do this for the money. I play because it's fun and I want to get better.

So, I think I may have answered my own question here. Sometimes it helps to just type out my thought process.

Any additional input/advice on breaking out of my comfort zone would be appreciated.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Two Problems with My Game. How do I Fix Them? *DELETED*

Post deleted by chesspain
Old 11-18-2005, 05:29 PM

Do you even speak english, retard?

Literacy is a beautiful thing. Try it.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:41 PM

Old 11-18-2005, 06:32 PM

Shutup and get working that Big Mac I ordered.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:42 PM

Old 11-18-2005, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Just a thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's a self image problem. I think it's more of a personality problem. I tend to be risk adverse in the sense that I'm not willing to take gambles on long shots unless I can definitely see an edge.

I'm ok with aggression. I'm good at being aggressive and don't mind taking a few chances as long as I'm the one initiating the action. Maybe this is due to the fact that the advantages are so evident. I mean, fold equity is pretty easy to grasp.

The more I think about it, though, the more I'm sure it's a larger issue. I've been risk adverse for my entire life. I should have quit my job years ago, but I'm good at what I do and the pay is enough to support my family.

Nevermind that I've stopped growing professionally, am failing to live up to my potential, and am currently bored out of my mind.

The fact is I consistently let good be the enemy of great.

So, here I am plugging away in my spare time at NL SNG 11's and I'm already stuck because my current system works well enough to win a couple of bucks off of the drunks, jackasses, and clueless housewives frequenting the tables.

The more I think about it, the more it pisses me off that I can't bring myself to make a loose call or two because some jackass on Party Poker might end up with my chips. God, what do I care? I don't do this for the money. I play because it's fun and I want to get better.

So, I think I may have answered my own question here. Sometimes it helps to just type out my thought process.

Any additional input/advice on breaking out of my comfort zone would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm interested in any solutions you may find, I sometimes face similar problems (risk averse). Hobbes, feel free to PM
me with anything relevant to this discussion.