Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 12:21 AM

Default My Bad Run -Help Requested

Before I start this is not a post complaining about the variance, just a request for help.

Many people here do not know me that well, but i am experincing my worst run since playing poker. I have played well over 1,000 sngs and over the last 6 months or so (several hundred at least sngs)I have just broken even. Now it could be worse and i am not complaining.

I remember when I first started lurking on 2+2 I read posts by Irie Guy and others on the extremes of variance and never thought they could happen to me. Well now I have and it sucks.

The purpose of this post is to ask a couple of things.

1) Any advice on how to tell you are running badly or just playing badly? Other then the obvious i got my money in with the best of it and lose scenario.

2) Also would anyone be willing to review some of my HH's and/or watch me play and let me know if I am playing badly or it is just variance.

3) Ask that people avoid me when I am playing so i can at least dump the money to the fish! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks in advance
Old 09-29-2005, 12:28 AM

Default Re: My Bad Run -Help Requested

If you don't extensively review your own hand histories after a session of SNGS, I recommend cutting out a few hours of play time to do so.

Check for plays involving middle pairs, overly fancy bets, ignorant ends of straights, responses to minraises, projecting your own knowledge onto opponents and putting your money in on marginal situations for a chunk of your big stack around the bubble.

Besides the basic idea of improving your game, finding leaks and confirming your good plays will boost your confidence and make you feel better about your play.

Eventually, I hear you can reach a zen-like state where you view each bad beat as a butterfly perched upon the sunflower of variance.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:29 AM

Okay dude here's what I can say.

I've made like three posts like this one. I think most players have made at least one about it. And the responses are always like "Sucks, bro" "It's just variance" "Post hands and see if you're playing bad"

Nothin really helps you figure it out. You just eventually start winning again and don't give a [censored] about what happened to that thread.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:30 AM

Tough to say if this is variance, your version of bad luck or perhaps a stagnant style of play that has a few flaws.

Not knowing what buy-in level or site you are playing, I would suggest that you change sites (get a new account on another site).

Something about "newness" forces you to concentrate a little better and pay attention to things that you are maybe taking for granted now.

2CentSlacka
Old 09-29-2005, 12:31 AM

is this more of the same 2+2 nonsense (along w/ 'i've been crushing the 22's for 3k a month') that has a terrible run equated w/ breaking even? don't some of you folks in fantasy land even know how to write the word 'lose'?
Old 09-29-2005, 12:33 AM

I do send time after each sng reviewing my hh's. It defintely helps alot. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2005, 12:39 AM

1) Is the hardest. You can sometimes develop a leak gradually that results in things being very wrong, despite nothing in particular looking very wrong.
For instance, are you finding yourself 6-handed 50/100 and pushing 800 with A9s UTG, only to find AK in the blinds or something on a regular basis.

That in itself _might_ be an okay play, but I find that if this is occuring too often, that cutting out the marginal stuff really helps.

Also, a day off is great at fixing short-term leaks that have crept in.

Lori

Work harder at your game read more books, analyse your game, swap hand histories.

As well as that you can move down or try a different game for a while (limit, stud, omaha, ring games etc).

Extended downswings/breakeven periods are nearly always a result of bad cards and bad play as a result of bad cards.

Thats hope so [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2005, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay dude here's what I can say.

I've made like three posts like this one. I think most players have made at least one about it. And the responses are always like "Sucks, bro" "It's just variance" "Post hands and see if you're playing bad"

Nothin really helps you figure it out. You just eventually start winning again and don't give a [censored] about what happened to that thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's so true, I just did this actually. So now I am vowing to never make a bad downswing/breakeven post agiain (unless it is over 1k SnG's long, cause that's notworthy). I have learned that although it can be good for reducing stress, it just clutters up the board.