Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 03:15 AM

Default deep-stack 5-10 hand: JJ out of position

live 5-10, it was 6- or 7-handed at 6 or 7 am. background info on villain: he's a dangerous player, plays fast and loose and very aggressive. when i first got into the game he had a 5k+ stack; he then lost it all, reloaded for the max of 1500, and now a few hours later has a 5k+ stack again. he's been raising at least 50% of his hands, and probably over 90% when he's in position, which has been making me pretty miserable since i'm 3 seats to his left, so my blinds have been getting raised every round. i started the hand with ~4300, he has me covered.

he raises from the co to 35, meaning he has 2 cards. sb calls, i'm in the bb and see JJ. reraise? i just called.

flop: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

we check to him and he bets 50, sb folds and i raise to 200 straight. he says, "are you pulling a move?" and calls. i'm thinking he has a flush draw.

turn: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

pretty innocuous card. i lead for 400, he calls. now i'm thinking, hmm, am i getting trapped? but i still believe i have the best hand.

river: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

another seemingly harmless card. what's my play here? comments on other streets welcomed also.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:23 AM

Default Re: deep-stack 5-10 hand: JJ out of position

reraise preflop is mandatory. mandatory.

I check/call river.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I check/call river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-27-2005, 05:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I check/call river.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-27-2005, 05:40 AM

Preflop, I would have re-raised to $150. Induce the river bluff. Pray he has diamonds and not 45.

Garland
Old 11-27-2005, 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying reraising is not the best option. It probably is. We know we've got the best hand and should probably make villian pay.

But there are some definite down sides. We're defining our hand against an opponent who's not gonna fold, is in position, and plays relatively well post flop. And we're building a big pot with a hand that's very difficult to play out of position (especially against this type of opponent). I think calling pre-flop is a valid option....Please discuss
Old 11-27-2005, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying reraising is not the best option. It probably is. We know we've got the best hand and should probably make villian pay.

But there are some definite down sides. We're defining our hand against an opponent who's not gonna fold, is in position, and plays relatively well post flop. And we're building a big pot with a hand that's very difficult to play out of position (especially against this type of opponent). I think calling pre-flop is a valid option....Please discuss

[/ QUOTE ]
you summed up a lot of my thoughts wrt my pf decision here. against most ppl i reraise, but against a good thinking lag i think it's a bad spot to do so, esp with 430bb stacks. i'd rather reraise here with 86s than with JJ.

but if my preflop intent was to play a smaller pot with a difficult hand oop, i then went ahead and built a big one postflop anyhow...so, yeah, i butchered this hand.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I check/call river.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-28-2005, 10:56 AM

if he has a draw, his $50 flop bet is weak for a LAG and since you check-raise there, a big draw would likely put in a three bet. any overpair would probably see a bigger flop bet there. so looks like nothing, flopped monster, and then a smaller overpair (maybe QQ).

Turn looks fine, I'd check/call the river.

some people like to wait until a blank turns before making a move and I don't know if that's how you want to approach playing this hand OOP, but it'll help keep the pot to a minimum. (negative being you lose a ton of $ by folding a scare turn.)
Old 11-28-2005, 11:42 AM

Why is reraising preflop mandatory? I'm not questioning you since I'm fairly new to NL, but with such deep stacks, wouldn't it be better to see if we get a favorable flop and checkraise villian's autobet when the happens? Or is this weak tight thinking? If you make it 150 and flop comes A73 are we betting the pot? Curious...

Jeff