Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Loose Flop Call?

The Villain here is a fairly passive player. The person on the button is semi-loose and very aggressive. BB is an unknown as he just sat down. Should I have raised preflop? That forces me to lead the flop a good amount of the time into two pretty loose players. Or should I wait until the flop like I did? I checked, folding to the nonaggressive players, and check/raising the aggressive player. Is this my best line here? Should I call the last flop small bet? The pot has to be 25 dollars at the end if I'm gonna win with my set. He likely already has a set of 7's or 3's, so that might happen.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB
Old 08-07-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Loose Flop Call?

I think raising pf would make this hand (and other scenarios) easier to play, and you also have equity, so I think it's the better choice.

But after calling pf, I would play it just as you did.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:11 PM

I usually don't raise 99 from the SB vs. 2 limpers, but depending on reads it could be a good play. I definitely see nothing wrong with just completing, though.

I like the flop play, but when a "fairly passive player" check/3-bets you, you're in big trouble. I call the 3-bet getting about 10:1 because at this point I think he's got either 77 or 33, and if I turn my 9 I'm probably going to make up at least 4 BBs or so in impied odds. Still not technically enough, but there's also the table image factor to consider.

Basically what I'm saying is, nice hand, sir.

EDIT because I suck at math &amp; totally hosed up the implied odds.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Villain here is a fairly passive player. The person on the button is semi-loose and very aggressive. BB is an unknown as he just sat down. Should I have raised preflop? That forces me to lead the flop a good amount of the time into two pretty loose players. Or should I wait until the flop like I did? I checked, folding to the nonaggressive players, and check/raising the aggressive player. Is this my best line here? Should I call the last flop small bet? The pot has to be 25 dollars at the end if I'm gonna win with my set. He likely already has a set of 7's or 3's, so that might happen.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

hi
if i don't raise pf i play it as you did.
i will usually raise pf here, moreso if BB is likely to fold.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:48 PM

I raise this preflop all day long.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:10 PM

Given that a passive opponent is going crazy, you are likely drawing to two outs and the pot is not terribly big at this point. I would fold to the three-bet.