Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Did I suck out on this??? Odds question>>>

Since I just moved up to 1/2(2 days ago) I see first off I need to start referring to the tight table and adjust when I come across the occasional loose table at this limit. I also see that my first mistake was to limp pre-flop. After all the responses, probably my biggest mistake was not raising the flop b/c of the equity I had. In the end, it worked out and I won a huge pot. I was mostly concerned during and after the hand about the cold-calling since I rarely do it.

Thanks for all the input. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2005, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since I just moved up to 1/2(2 days ago) I see first off I need to start referring to the tight table and adjust when I come across the occasional loose table at this limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I would assume loose until proven otherwise. That's the advice in SSHE, anyhow, and in my experience the tables are still generally loose.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:18 PM

Well, that's how I normally play, but it seemed there was a lot of concern about my limp in EP. I thought there was something I didn't realize about 1/2. Although, the few tables I've played so far have been just as loose as .5/1.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Since I just moved up to 1/2(2 days ago) I see first off I need to start referring to the tight table and adjust when I come across the occasional loose table at this limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I would assume loose until proven otherwise. That's the advice in SSHE, anyhow, and in my experience the tables are still generally loose.

[/ QUOTE ]

SSHE is written with the B&M player in mind I believe (at least I recall Ed posting something to the effect that you get 6+ people seeing the flop frequently in B&M situations). Also, the tight tables in SSHE go up to an average of 5 people seeing the flop. By most people's definitions, this is quite loose.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:40 PM

I posted a question about using the loose games chart in the beginners forum:http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...14&fpart=1

The loose games SSH chart says it applies when there are 6-8 players on the flop on average. Let's assume that the blinds never fold and you play 17% of your hands. That means in every pot there will be 2.17 people in it to start. That means out of the remaining 7, 3.83 people need to be in the hand. That means the VPIP % would need to be 55%. I think it's pretty safe to say that you could go quite a long time without running into a table of this type. (Also, when you start to consider blinds not playing 100% the figure gets even higher.) Am I missing something?

I got a bunch of reply's stating that SSH was written for B&M games but I think that for Party it should rarely be used. How often do you see the VPIP get to 55% on Party 1/2?

Also, for KJo in particular it seems that Ed Miller is a little inconsistent. In the chart he has you limping but in the questions part (p.318) it says you should usually raise after 1 or 2 loose players have limped. Now before you jump all over me, I want to say that I know the rationale behind raising after 1 or 2 loose players with this hand (it's becuase you will probably have an advantage on average over them and you would like to keep it short handed, right?) The problem is, I don't see this anywhere else in the book besides the questions. I guess this isn't necessarily inconsistent but I do think that it doesn't explain it in the preflop section and in a sense is a trick question.

(I also know that the chart isn't meant to be used as hard fast rules and you should learn to play hands based on their indivudual value taking your opponents into consideration.)
Old 08-26-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(I also know that the chart isn't meant to be used as hard fast rules and you should learn to play hands based on their indivudual value taking your opponents into consideration.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you answered your own question.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:03 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

After posting this hand, I realize that I can't use the tables "exclusively." Up till now, I have. It's just that I don't consider myself "good enough" to deviate. Besides, Miller does say not to deviate very often.(Doesen't he?)

Anyway, It seems I need to work that part of my game.