Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2003, 09:06 AM

Default AA and a little voice

It's a 10+1 SNG on TGC. We are 5 now, out of 10. Blinds are 160/320, and I get my lovely AA in the BB.
Before posting the blinds (and after...) I am the big stack with approximately T3000, and the others are with T2500, T1500, T1500, T1000.

UTG folds, and UTG+1, T2500, who played very loose-agressive at the beginning but tightened up considerably later on, goes all-in.

All fold to me.

Should I've been happy about it? Well, I don't know. I know that if he has high pair, It's like 85% I win him, but I'm not sure that with folding this I'm not better than 85% to get into the money. And winnig this, does not make me automatically the 1st place winner, because the blinds will get to 320/640 and 10 rounds later 640/1280, so everything can happen. Yes, it's a crap-shoot.

But it's poker! and I have the best hand! I call, he shows JQ off, says "christ", and I win this hand and the whole tourny.

Would anybody consider folding here? I mean - would anybody FOLD, not just thinking about it? I'm asking this because it was first time for me, hearing this little voice in me saying: "fold those aces, forget about it, you are almost there, why knock your head in the wall after a terrible bad-beat here?".

I know I did the right thing, the only thing a winning poker-player-wannabe must do, but will appriciate any thoughts.

PrayingMantis

Old 12-05-2003, 10:11 AM

Default Re: AA and a little voice

Would anybody consider folding here?

No.

hearing this little voice

Ignore those little voices when they ask you to do irrational things.

I know I did the right thing, the only thing a winning poker-player-wannabe must do,...

You are correct.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:35 AM

There is no way I would fold aces here. About the only time I would fold aces is in a super-satellite close to the bubble with other conditions having been met. Anyhow, if you fold aces, what are going to call with?

Old 12-05-2003, 11:59 AM

Default Sometimes I wonder....

I've been playing poker for about four years now and it has been my passion for about 3 years, 364 days, and 23 hours and sometimes I wonder.

When I sit at work all day and occasionally read a post or two on this site, I wonder. I read through the posts from these experts of poker, playing limits I've never even dared dream and making plays I've never even considered, I wonder. Do I have what it takes to win at this game?

Then a glimmer of hope shines through and all is right in the world. This post is that glimmer.

And so I say Thank You, prayingmantis, I will sleep well tonight.

Peace
Goodie
Old 12-05-2003, 12:54 PM

I am sure fossilman can put these better in terms of +EV but if you can't put your money where you are getting paid 1.19 to 1 and you are favorite over 4 to 1 over every other hand but AA. Then, no limit poker might not be the game for you.

There is a certain element of randomness in these game that will bite you in the behind no matter how skillful one might be. That's part of the allure of the game for less skilled players and the profit for the better ones. From the context of your posting, you suffered a bad beat. Just let it go.

There are a minute number of situations where folding AA preflop would be correct. This wasn't one of them.

Better luck next time.
Old 12-05-2003, 02:08 PM

There's been way too many of these "should I fold kings", "should I fold aces" posts. There's only rare situations in a multiway pot at a final table where you would even consider making these laydowns and somewhat more common ones in super satellites where you'd fold them late when you're virtually guarnteed a prize. Otherwise, get your money in.
Old 12-05-2003, 03:31 PM

Well, don't get me wrong - I called it happily. There was not really a chance of folding there. But this thought crossed my mind - I admit it - and I think there is nothing sacred about AA, although every poker-addict dreams about them, and maybe especially to get them in exactly the situation I got them.

Anyway, IdiotSavant was kind of right: 2 tournies in a row I lost with big pairs: first with KK to KA, and then with KK to KQ. Few tournies before, very close to the money, I lost with KT to Q8, on a board of 8TTQ. I managed to put this guy allin, and the river: Q. I'm not whining, that's what happened and I went on.

So I guess this time I was too eager to get in the money no matter what, and felt for a second that folding AA in a face of an all-in call, might do it. Hell, sure it is the most stupid thought, and it went away. I just wanted some responses here.

And another thing: maybe it's a symptom of thinking too much, as I'm pretty much a newbe to poker tournaments. But I guess, with all these bad-beats and stuff, I'm still doing pretty well (in a newbe standarts...).

Well, thanks for the feedback,

PrayingMantis