Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 05:27 AM

Default Ever had a real, life-changing day?

Not a stop and make you think day or event, but something that changed your perspective on life permanently?

Here's mine:

I was going out with a girl, and I eventually got around to telling her I loved her (dont anyone satrt that 'you told her first!' crap), and she started acting odd. I wasn’t sure how to take it, so didn’t say anything.

And here's my life-changing day:
The next morning I went to work, but was sad, thinking on her, and also thinking about my Grandfather for some reason. He’d been the only father figure I’d had, a good, kind man, and he’d died a few years before. I’d cycled past the place he was cremated, though it was out of my way, and he was on my mind.

I got to work, and had to go to the dean’s office (I worked in a medical school bar). He told me my job was finishing, they didn't need me any more. Tough, I worked my shift, and then rung my girl – needing some sympathy. She dumped me. She didn’t want to get into anything serious. I felt absolutely terrible.

No job, no girl, and really missing the only grown-up guy that meant anything to me [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I went outside, sat on the steps of the medical school while people passed, giving me funny looks (you just didn’t do that). I looked up, and it was a beautiful sunny sky, with clouds here and there. And then I started laughing, really laughing, laughing at how this had turned into the worst day ever, when just the day before I was getting all excited about telling the girl I loved that I loved her. I said something like ‘what, no rain? You might as well put the cherry on the cake!’ or something like that up to the sky, and grinning and laughing like an idiot. And I swear, since that day, I have been a really, deep-down, happy person – what’s that about, huh?

I guess you can take so much crap before you just think ‘to hell with it. It’s not going to drag me down’.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:29 AM

Default Re: Ever had a real, life-changing day?

it would have been better if it started raining.. like, if when you looked up, a raindrop fell into your eye. yeah.. that would have been awesome.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it would have been better if it started raining.. like, if when you looked up, a raindrop fell into your eye. yeah.. that would have been awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

if by raindrop, you mean a bum peeing in his eye, I agree.

interesting story though, looks like I need to lose a job and a girlfriend in a couple hours sometime.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:44 AM

My life changing day was nearly 8 years ago.

At that point was working in Finance in a hospital, was 25 still living at home with my parents going out with the lads drinking 6 nights a week pretty much carefree stressfree life. Hadnt had a girlfriend in two years after a five year realtionship and wasnt that bothered.

Works night out ended up clubbing around 1am club is busy so we didnt have seats couple of us were standing round a table in the middle of the floor some other people we didnt know, was two girls standing there one getting chatted up the other listening in to the friends conversation, I said was rude to listen into her friends conversation, turned out she worked at the hospital too, got chatting to her for the rest of the night. From that day on I ended up in a world of divorce, marrige break ups, step kids and stupid exes and within 6 months was living with her in another town and barely out with the lads, a year and a half after that I was a dad.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:53 AM

Well, I lost (My choice though) my GF and the job is looking dangerously bad at the moment.....so maybe we can meet up for a beer.....and play Poker in an internet cafe !

Us English 2+2ers have gotta stick together.....
Old 10-05-2005, 06:38 AM

Some people react differently to types of trauma. I believe it to be the #1 thing that can shape an adult's mentality. Others may call it growing up when it happens for the better.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But instead, it was like, sulfuric acid or something.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But instead, it was like, sulfuric acid or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

if by "But instead, it was like, sulfuric acid or something" you mean, "everything you said was perfect as is", well then i agree.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And I swear, since that day, I have been a really, deep-down, happy person – what’s that about, huh?

I guess you can take so much crap before you just think ‘to hell with it. It’s not going to drag me down’.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I have days like that periodically but they never take permanently.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And I swear, since that day, I have been a really, deep-down, happy person – what’s that about, huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I have days like that periodically but they never take permanently.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it just came together right - I was lucky.