Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 04:04 PM

Default AK trouble pre-flop

$100 NL tourney at a local fire hall, (i posted another hand is this tournament a few days ago) and there are 90 ppl. The thing about this tournament is you only get 4000 in chips to start with, the blinds start out at 25-50 and increase fast, so this makes for a quick tournament. There have been about 20-25 hands played and I am about 250 down from when I started. I don't feel the players at the table are giving me much respect at all since I am the youngest there, a very important point. I raised a couple times earlier with 99 and 77 in early position but folded to big re-raises behind me and they got the impression they could push me around. I pick up AK off suit in 2nd position and raise 3 times the big blind which is 50-100. A player who is right before the button (9 handed still) re-raises me about 700 more which is half her stack. If I call I will have about 2750 left, folding would leave me with 3450 and putting her all in would leave me just over 1000. What's your move. There are still over 75 players still in the tournament.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: AK trouble pre-flop

I should have mentioned the final table of 9 get paid, which my goal to get to so I can play aggressive fearlessy knowing i will get my money back. the players here are also not to knowledgeable on holdem, and dont seem to bother with pot odds or bet sizes. they seem to just throw out bets and like to bluff a lot.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$100 NL tourney at a local fire hall, (i posted another hand is this tournament a few days ago) and there are 90 ppl. The thing about this tournament is you only get 4000 in chips to start with, the blinds start out at 25-50 and increase fast, so this makes for a quick tournament. There have been about 20-25 hands played and I am about 250 down from when I started. I don't feel the players at the table are giving me much respect at all since I am the youngest there, a very important point. I raised a couple times earlier with 99 and 77 in early position but folded to big re-raises behind me and they got the impression they could push me around. I pick up AK off suit in 2nd position and raise 3 times the big blind which is 50-100. A player who is right before the button (9 handed still) re-raises me about 700 more which is half her stack. If I call I will have about 2750 left, folding would leave me with 3450 and putting her all in would leave me just over 1000. What's your move. There are still over 75 players still in the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

How has she played up until this point? super tight? super passive? you have to develop a feel for the range of hands she'll make this play with, and go from there.

I think if I feel the table is pushing you around, I'm not folding AK.

Either pushing or a stop-n-go here seem reasonable.

-Scott
Old 09-16-2005, 04:47 PM

Push. The money is too shallow to fold AK in this situation. Of the table is loose and you are being pushed around, all the more reason to push.

Is the table pushing you around or are they just playing like maniacs? Early in a fire hall tournament, you may not be able to play it like the WPT. Perhaps raises are often being reraised.

Then it might be best to limp or fold in early position with marginal raising hands. Raise with hands you are willing to go allin with against loose players.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:47 PM

I don't see folding this without knowing something you're not telling us. Stop and go.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:48 PM

this would be an easy reraise all in for me,and try my luck in a race with a stack that can't break me,perfect situation for ak.
ps-ak is never trouble pre-flop,lol
Old 09-16-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stop and go.

[/ QUOTE ]
AK is too strong to stop-and-go with. Just push.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ak is never trouble pre-flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in a firehouse tournament with a fast structure.

WPT Championship, blinds 50/100. UTG raises to 300. You reraise to 1000 in 3rd position. 5th position makes it 4000. UTG goes allin. What do you do with AK?
Old 09-16-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ak is never trouble pre-flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in a firehouse tournament with a fast structure.

WPT Championship, blinds 50/100. UTG raises to 300. You reraise to 1000 in 3rd position. 5th position makes it 4000. UTG goes allin. What do you do with AK?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd fold A-K here, as it's likely that at least one of your outs is being held by one of the other players, or you're up against two smaller pairs that are likely to draw to their sets.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:15 PM

Easy easy fold IMO. Unless the two villains are both convicted idiots.