Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 01:02 PM

Default JJ

Whats my line on the flop. I should have made a larger bet, i was in two sng's that were down to heads up. But if i make a pot sized bet, and he pushes is my line different? Thanks

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (9 handed) converter

Button (t1650)
SB (t1261)
BB (t2510)
Hero (t2205)
UTG+1 (t2325)
MP1 (t3060)
MP2 (t4205)
MP3 (t4980)
CO (t4900)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, BB calls t200.

Flop: (t650) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t300</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t2210</font>, Hero?
Old 04-13-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Re: JJ

Depending on the type of player, I might be inclined to call.

You don't mention the buy-in. It might give a better clue about the strength of the players.

Is this a player that would be inclined to push all-in with such a monster flop for his Ace?

Is he a tricky player that might make that kind of bet to induce a call?

Or he's just weak here and trying to represent a bigger hand with 88,99, TT or 7x suited?

the last possibility is of course of a relatively inexperienced player pushing all in with his Ace rag and just playing his cards without regards to yours as you could be holding AK, AQ, AJ suited which would be an easy call at this point.

This is a judgement call based on your opinion of the player where there is too little information on your post to try to sort out.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:16 PM

this was a 20 dollar MTT at stars. I didn't have any reads on the player because i was in two heads up matches, but im pretty sure he had just been moved to our table, so it wouldn't have really mattered.
I find this situations to be some of the most difficult. You know there is a good chance someone is making a move. Also it seems like a valid thing to do with a pocket pair,but obviously sometimes they will have an ace.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:35 PM

You raised UTG. You got one BB caller. You bet out less than half the pot on the flop and he still pushes?
Unless he's totally stupid, he has to put you on a pretty big hand. It's tough to not give you credit for an ace, yet he pushes anyway.

I would give him the benefit of the doubt on this one and go ahead and lay down. You are getting about 25:16 price. I would like to be getting about 2.5:1 or so to make this call. You are getting about 1.5:1 and if you fold, you still have a stack to work with.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:43 PM

yea, i folded, though i felt i had the best hand a good percentage of the time.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:02 PM

If you don´t have a specific read on the BB (good/bad player, what he check-raise with) or are in need of chips you should fold. What hands do you raise with from first position? By betting half the pott you more or less
tell him you have a PP.
My feeling is you´re behind 70% of the time. Against a week player though this is a hard decision.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:05 PM

I have to fold to his raise here for the reasons Soss stated.

I would be happy to try to check this down to the river.

If you're ahead, he's drawing very thin unless he has KQ, and I doubt he's flat calling KQ out of position, more than likely has has an A or a pair.

When you check the flop, he cannot discount that you have an A.

If he leads the turn I probably flat call, if he leads the river too, I probably fold unless I'm getting a really good price.

If he checks the turn, I check behind, if he leads the river for a reasonable amount I call.

If he checks the turn and river, I keep checking behind.

I'm not positive this line is the best, but its what I would do.

Would like to hear others if they disagree.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 04-13-2005, 07:13 PM

I think that sounds a lot better than my line. Im still working on the way ahead/way behind thing.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:07 PM

Thats pretty well how I would play it, woodguy. It always makes me feel weak tight, but its alot better than having the BB CR AI, or call and push the turn.

One added bonus of playing it this way , it gives you a free turn card to hit your set. If he is slow playing the Ace, you will stack him when the J hits.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:27 PM

UTG with Jacks, preflop I tend to raise more like 4-5x the big blind.

Hero? ...needs to give more info.

I doubt someone would go all in with an Ace in that spot. However, I do not play internet poker so take my advice with a grain of salt.