Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2004, 12:29 PM

Default Trash Talking

Does anyone else here purposely act like an idiot or trash talk to set other people on tilt? I know I really really reaaaaaally enjoy telling people they made terrible plays when they get a bad beat put on them. They just go absolutely nuts. I also love feigning complete ignorance of anything regarding poker strategy. The chat box is a wonderful thing.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Trash Talking

No...

My chat is turned off because of players like you.

PB
Old 12-29-2004, 11:56 PM

Likewise. When my chat was on in the beginning all I ever saw was nonsensical drivel. Thank you for reporting that the situation hasn't changed.
Russ.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:09 AM

There are so many 'tells' in the chatbox, that I hesitate turning it off.

Most trash talking is just another tell. By observing carefully what is being said (in conjunction with the players actions), one can often get a pretty good idea of the players overall knowledge of the game.

I would also add that if trash talking by players has a tendency to put you on tilt, you should probably ask yourself why.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else here purposely act like an idiot or trash talk to set other people on tilt? I know I really really reaaaaaally enjoy telling people they made terrible plays when they get a bad beat put on them. They just go absolutely nuts. I also love feigning complete ignorance of anything regarding poker strategy. The chat box is a wonderful thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a tool.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:13 AM

I always say to players like you, "if you wouldn't be doing it in a live game, don't do it online." Something about the anonymity of online that can turn otherwise decent folks into nimrods.

And you know, it can work against you when people concentrate more on their game when you're in the hand because they hate you.

P.S. my assumption that you may be decent otherwise could be off-base.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are so many 'tells' in the chatbox, that I hesitate turning it off.

Most trash talking is just another tell. By observing carefully what is being said (in conjunction with the players actions), one can often get a pretty good idea of the players overall knowledge of the game.

I would also add that if trash talking by players has a tendency to put you on tilt, you should probably ask yourself why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hiya -

I did ask myself why. I kept on trying to play sheriff so the weaker players would continue to play. Then, playing sheriff became too much work and actually weakened my game. The cost benefit of figuring out the online "tells" versus my weakening play influenced my decision to turn the chat box off. It's too early for me to know how much I'm actually giving up.

Therefore, until I learn to effectively ignore these types of players (and I know they are everywhere) and use the information they are providing to me against them, I turn the chat off. It's a learning thing. I do understand that people may say rotten things in a live game and I have to learn not to react to it internally or externally. It's just another leak I'm trying to plug and something that I'll eventually get over by experience and self-reflection.

I just found it surprising that a 2 + 2 player would admit to this.

PB
Old 12-31-2004, 02:08 PM

tool.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hiya -

I did ask myself why. I kept on trying to play sheriff so the weaker players would continue to play. Then, playing sheriff became too much work and actually weakened my game. The cost benefit of figuring out the online "tells" versus my weakening play influenced my decision to turn the chat box off. It's too early for me to know how much I'm actually giving up.

Therefore, until I learn to effectively ignore these types of players (and I know they are everywhere) and use the information they are providing to me against them, I turn the chat off. It's a learning thing. I do understand that people may say rotten things in a live game and I have to learn not to react to it internally or externally. It's just another leak I'm trying to plug and something that I'll eventually get over by experience and self-reflection.

PB

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that you acknowledge that it's a leak, I'd say that you're probably well on the way the plugging it.

This may help.........Try to focus on WHY they're saying what they're saying, instead of simply taking what is being said at face value.

Good Luck....
Old 01-01-2005, 08:50 AM

I dont but I've seen it work. I dont usually pay any attention to the chat box. 99% of the chat is meaningless or worse. I'm too busy to care. When it works I always wonder why the trashee didn't "get it."