Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2004, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Is Soda Bad For You?

[ QUOTE ]
What is Soda? Did you mean Pop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone should start a poll based on the decades old dispute between soda and pop. Everybody always argues about what to call the beverage in question. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm from the midwest, where everyone seems to call it pop. I call it soda, because I think "pop" sounds silly. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2004, 08:38 PM

Why are potatoes bad for you? I figured they'd be good, since they're a natural food. Thanks for the post, very interesting.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:41 PM

From Snopes.com

Claim: A tooth left in a glass of Coca-Cola will dissolve overnight.

Tooth left in Coke overnight
Old 11-27-2004, 08:43 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

nobody in st louis calls it pop
Old 11-27-2004, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From Snopes.com

Claim: A tooth left in a glass of Coca-Cola will dissolve overnight.

Tooth left in Coke overnight

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks like that snopes article is a bit misleading. Although I will say that snopes is technically correct, I disagree with how they worded everything. In Mythbusters the Cola did shrink the size of the tooth a little, but it turned the tooth a really nasty brown. Obvious damage had occured to the tooth. Technically snopes is correct as most of the tooth is still left behind after 24 hours, but that doesn't mean it didn't cause large amounts of damage.

Very bad article from snopes IMO. Their methodology of comparing the effects of sodium hypochlorite to cola on a fly is also an example of poor scientific methodology. Flesh is affected by alkaline liquid(roto rooter) not by acid. Human enamel has a hydroxyl group on it which means bases will have little affect, but acids will be very effective at eating away at it. This is an example of very poor scientific methodology. The experiment could not be set up much worse.

I do agree that orange juice and lemonade are more acidic, but this is due to citric acid. Snopes does not explain that citric acid behaves differently than phosphoric acid. Another example of poor writing/investigation.

They also don't explain that citric acid has a chemical structure of HOOC-CH2C(OH)(COOH)CH2COOH, and phosphoric acid is PO(OH)3. That is a huge difference and they are totally ignoring it.

I'm not totally against cola, I'm just saying it's probably not the best thing in the world to drink it like it's water. I don't drink it at all, but that is due to personal taste and not health reasons. I haven't had a cavity, and I think the lack of cola is the reason why.

This is the worst article written by snopes I have ever seen.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:56 PM

The 'soda' v 'pop' debate was discussed in this thread a month ago.

Here is an interesting map.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:51 AM

lol, great stuff. It seems like the entire south calls any soda "Coke". Astroglide looks to be right about St. Louis. It's in a heavy "soda" area. My state appears to be all "pop", and I'm only 1 state West of astroglide. Things really go downhill fast once you cross that border. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2004, 02:56 AM

Default Re: Aspartame, Saccharin and Refined Sugar

WOW, this is so helpful. I switched from regular soda to diet soda recently [I drink a LOT of soda], and I've noticed this odd spacy feeling popping up all the time. I thought I wasn't getting enough sleep, I thought I was depressed.. I just couldn't come up with a rational explanation for it.

I'm going to cut the soda all together for a few weeks and see if I feel better. I hope so!
Old 11-28-2004, 11:44 AM

Somewhat similar to Soda, but to a lesser extent, potatoes are very high in simple sugar calories while having a pretty low nutrient level.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:19 PM

About soda vs. pop -- I've seen them used together lots of times, with people asking for a soda pop.

Here's a weird thing I read about the South once -- that the word C-U-N-T is, in some places, commonly used to describe the goodies of either sex, not just women. Supposedly doesn't work the same for pussy. No idea how limited that is in geography, but I seem to remember at the time that the person writing it seemed credible. Who knows, maybe that's just in one obscure place.