Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2005, 04:25 AM

Default Re: Stud/8: How Should I Play 6th and 7th on this hand?

[ QUOTE ]
You seem to have omitted a lot of important details. What cards are out? What was the action? What were your positions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, this is going from memory. I was driving the action until 6th, when they both made hands. The guy with trips was first to act and bet out and the low raised him, so it was two bets to me. I recall that my straight flush outs were definitely live. I know that some of his flush and boats outs were taken, but there weren't a ton of them taken out. He was smart enough to not chase a flush draw with too many cards out, so he was not live. The low didn't have more than two of any suit showing so didn't have a flush.

The way I saw it, I could either fold or not fold. Given the option of not folding, I could either reraise trying to see if I could get the trips to lay down on sixth or I could call the two bets because I wasn't sure what the right action was. Either way, if I am going to not fold, I should see it through to the end, but I should just call down, because three-betting on seventh may spoke the trips if he doesn't make a boat.

In real life, I folded because I didn't have the necessary conviction to go with my read that the trips had been chasing a flush because I hated the idea that I would possibly be calling 8 bets on sixth and seventh drawing nearly dead if my read was wrong (but my read turned out to be right). It's one of my failings that I sometimes wimp out with medium-strength hands when faced with strong multi-way action, even though I have solid, logical reasons to believe that I probably have the best hand, or at least a strong equity interest in the pot.