Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 03:33 AM

Default Re: i want to improve...am i doing the right things? (a bit long)

You seem to like to read, so check these books out for the mental side of your game: Inside the Poker Mind (already mentioned); The Breakout Principle; The Power of Now. Howard Lederer is always talking about Zen and the Art of Archery, which I haven't read, but he seems to like it (he's probably ok at poker too).
Old 12-05-2005, 06:40 AM

Ok... so I'm going to be that guy.

You've exhibited some troubling behaviour. At the very least you should be aware that you might be predisposed to problem gambling and structure your poker playing accordingly. That means (at least) being very careful to make sure you're always comfortably (over) rolled, your progression through the limits is carefully planned ahead of time and never a spur of the moment thing, and that your pokering isn't having an adverse effect on the rest of your life. Just because you're playing a +EV game doesn't mean that you're immune from negative fallout. It's important to be careful to avoid developing destructive patterns.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way. It's your life and you can live it any way you like. Just thought it needed to be brought up. It's much easier to avoid trouble if we know what we should be looking out for.

Welcome to the forum and best of luck in your pokering adventure.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:31 AM

If you tilt when your aces or kings or any other strong hand gets drawn out by 74o and the like, it's helpful to think about two things:

1. You WANT the person to call you all the way to the river! If people never called you when you had the best of it, you'd never make money. If they hit their 2-outer on the river, you still wanted them to call on the turn. Even if you got unlucky this time, the majority of the time, you'll win.

2. Good players will always be sucked out on more than bad players, simply because good players are much more likely to put their money in when they have the best of it. When people suck out on you, it just means you played well, basically.

Good luck with your play!
Old 12-05-2005, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i paly pretty much abc poker but i tend to go on tilt quiet a bit. not only tilting at the poker table but also at the blackjack table, so i had to remove all the bj buttons n stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have to resort to this sort of thing to avoid the blackjack tables, you may have a gambling problem. Something to think about.

Also, the word is "quite," not "quiet."

Edit: After reading the rest of the thread, you seriously need to do a little research on pathological gambling and see if this is something you should look into more thoroughly.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:28 PM

I'm going to go ahead and "be that guy," too. Be very careful that you're not developing a gambling problem. If you have other friends (who are less prone to risky behavior than you) who are either fellow poker players or know about/understand poker, ask them to keep a weather eye out for you.

If you do continue playing, in addition to the books posted about, you should check out the 2+2 Psychology forum.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:36 PM

Sorry I don't have much constructive to add except think about why you are playing poker, and why you go on tilt. Think about the situations that lead you to go on tilt, and how you can avoid them or change your reaction to them.

As a side note, how do you remove the blackjack buttons?