Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-22-2005, 11:34 AM

Default I call? (2/5 NL)

Very loose passive game at the Harrahs in Omaha. Lots of limping and cc'ing of raises. Things get alot more aggressive post-flop. 2 people limp UTGish, MP raises to 15, and 2 people call, and its to me on the button. I call with KdJd. Everyone that had limped + a blind calls, and away we go.

Flop is 7d8x9d. About as good as I could hope for. Then things go very wrong. PFR bets 50. Folded to me on the button. I notice the BB stacking out $50. I'm a donk, so I call.

Then things get worse. BB raises, puts the $50 out, and pushes out a raise of $200. Bummer. PRF doesnt take long to shove his last $200 into the pot, and its back to me.

I am devoid of reads on the BB. He's new, and I'm new. The PFR is a smug nit who has been needling me because I was carrying around a HoHII book to read while I was waiting to get into the game. However I have not seen him get out of line. I have to think he either has AA, KK, or JT.

I'm getting good enough odds for my call, if my flush is good.

Call?

Sidenote, BB who make the raise $200 more still has $200 behind. I have $220 behind.

I felt lost here. Advice please?

Hand 2:

I've been at the table for about 2 hours now, and have shown down some monsters. I've also lost with a few big hands. I have 1k+, and villian in this hand is the only person at the table with over $300. He has $525 or so.

I raise from the button with AQs to 20. Villian reraises me to 55, and I call. This had happened twice before from his BB, and both times I folded.

Flop was AQ9r. He bets out $50. I raise to $200. He waits for about 2 minutes, and pushes...

Hero?

Nick
Old 12-22-2005, 12:02 PM

Default Re: I call? (2/5 NL)

The most i have played is $100NL. That being as it may , my less schooled opinion is as follows:

1. referring to the Fundamental Theory of Poker, you call.

2. it's the 2 minute pause that convinces me he has trips and has reviewed your play so far at table, and figured you to not have AA. I put him on QQ. He's not pushing with A,9 and that's all you beat here. Fold.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:12 PM

1. I would just get it all-in. You're not going to fold to his all-in on the turn if you miss, so you might as well not allow a scare card (to him) to come on the turn. The way you played it thus far, I think this is your only option. Folding would be bad, I think.

(2) He could easily have AK here. I can't imagine folding this hand either. I would qualify this by asking if you have any read on villian, i.e. would he re-raise PF with nothing bc you've been raising on the button a lot? Is he capable of making a move? Barring some read that he is super tight and only plays premium hands and plays them strong, I'd call pretty quickly here.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:21 PM

No. 1: I think this a fold. I don't see AA or KK not raising preflop, but could be. Anyway you're on a draw betting into a dry sidepot HU. Unless you can find some reason to think he'll fold to your push then I'm folding.

No. 2. Read dependent. Most players will do this overbet with the nuts, or when they think they're ahead and lake the confidence to play out the hand, i.e. they're not sure they can put you on a hand. This could easily be AK. I think I call.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:50 PM

1) i say push. if you push it costs you 400 and then the pot(combined) is 1200 total. You should have at least 11 outs (3 might be ties) and will win over 1 in 3 times. I think PFR has AA/KK and BB has JT or a set. you have 11 or 12 outs, and the odds to put it all in.

2)I think sometimes people over defend to a steal. He might not realize how strong you are and may have AK or possibly even AJ or AT(not likely). You have also put a lot of money in the pot already. you are too strong to fold.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:05 PM

hand 2 wtf? insta call
Old 12-22-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How in the heck does this apply here?
Old 12-22-2005, 01:41 PM

Hand #1: Having invested only $65 in this pot, don't really like calling off the rest of my chips with the 2nd nut flush draw, I probably fold.

Hand #2: Call, likely AK here, if he has a set of Q's or A's, nice hand and time to build your stack again.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The most i have played is $100NL. That being as it may , my less schooled opinion is as follows:

2. it's the 2 minute pause that convinces me he has trips and has reviewed your play so far at table, and figured you to not have AA. I put him on QQ. He's not pushing with A,9 and that's all you beat here. Fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

question, what is the fundamental theorem of poker

also no. 2 is easy call...
Old 12-22-2005, 01:51 PM

Hand 1 is an easy call, and I would put that last 220 in there too.

Hand 2 is also a very easy call.

Hope it worked out.