Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 11:08 AM

Default HU NL matches (x-post)

do any players make serious money just doing this? i know some people on here play them quite a bit, but does anyone play them exclusively, or at least as their main game?

i've been playing a bunch of MTTs lately, and have barely been playing any LHE lately, which has been my main game for about the last year almost exclusively. i feel my MTT game is really starting to come aound, and i love playing them, but for a steadier source of income i've started playing single table Sit and goes, which are fun too i think.

since party was down, i played a bunch of 50, and $100 dolar HU matches at stars. this is the first time i've played any HU NL, except for at the end of tournies and Sit & goes. i'm sure i was getting more than my share of luck, but i felt like i had pretty good control over most matches.

i know that i wouldn't play them fulltime, but what % of matches can you really expect to win if you're a good(not great) player against an average to below average player? and also, at the higher levels, what % would a world class player win against a merely decent player?

also, if anyone does play these, do you ever just register first, or do you wait for certain "buddies" to be at the table first? at the ones i was playing mostly i just sat down, b/c usually the tables were empty, and it seemed okay since a few people played me twice after i won the first match by being a "lucky fish".
Old 09-22-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Re: HU NL matches (x-post)

There have been a few posts on here in the past few weeks and at least one in the past day or two discussing HU SNGs, a few of them covering what you're asking for in detail IIRC. A search may help you out. Good luck!
Old 09-22-2005, 11:37 AM

I'm about 60% playing HU matches at the $20 and $50 level. I do make $ but they wear me down much faster than SNGs and I can't play them for a long period of time. They are good for practice and you can make a little $ "parlaying" them while playing a SNG, but long-term they won't be what makes you rich i dont think.

Indy
Old 09-22-2005, 01:09 PM

good idea

start up a set of sngs and then play a few hu matches while you are in the first 4 levels of the sng...
Old 09-22-2005, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There have been a few posts on here in the past few weeks and at least one in the past day or two discussing HU SNGs, a few of them covering what you're asking for in detail IIRC. A search may help you out. Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, thanks, sorry about that. i looked thru the FAQ, and tried the search, but i suck with that. was putting HU instead of "heads up", so the only things coming up were threads about the WCOOP guy getting smoked at the 5ks though. just found a good thread though.

i'll probably just try playing a few a day and see how i'm doing after 100 or so (unless i'm getting killed before i get to that). probably not the best way to make $$ though, as 2 matches seemed like it was probably the most i could do at a time while still playing well... as opposed to 8 pretty comfortably at STTs. mostly though, i just want to get good at HU play for end of tourneys, and also to be able to take advantage of when weaker players are playing really high stakes (when my BR is there of course).

also, iis there a way to have pokerace running to show mucked cards while playing HU on stars? it was getting screwed up, and i covering up my cards with #'s so that i couldn't see them.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:19 AM

That's what I did last night. I was 5/5 on Heads Up which allowed me to freeroll my 9 player SNGs. Also, because it allowed me to play every hand and be aggressive, it kept me from tilting in the 9 player games.

Indy