Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-19-2005, 04:57 AM

Default Re: a set against sonicboom

I prob bet 400 and dont mind getting it in here.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:22 AM

I havent played full ring in the longest time but a couple of comments/questions:

1) Why not raise the flop? Aren't there a ton of cards that could potentially kill your action/not allow you to bet/raise the turn? I assume you mix up your play on the flop and this is one of those times you decided just to call...?

2) Is there really a question about turn play? A check seems horrible. If you bet, you are going broke, right? Or are people folding JJ here in full ring? I know theres no chance I ever fold this SH.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:28 AM

for those who asked about the flop, i am smooth calling here for two reasons.

most importantly, if i raise, sonic is able to get off AA/AK maybe KQ very easily. basically, he folds almost all hands i dont want him to and pushes when im beat. only time he stacks here when im IMO is if he has KJ or 1010.

the second reason is that im hoping bad player comes along with his weak top pair.second pair type hand.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:35 AM

I talked so several people via IM about this hand and the consensus is that pf and flop are good, but there were differing opinions about the turn play.

at the time, I felt sonic's hand range that he would CR the turn all in was much smaller than did a couple of other players in the party games.

i felt he would only CR all in with 1010 or better here, but i think that is too narrow and that if he were planning to continue with AA/KJ/maybe AK type hands, that he is prob going to CR the turn all in if i bet. if that is true, then I really need to bet and call an all in on the turn.

whitelime- if this is SH'd, this flop is getting raised nearly everytime and ill beat him into the pot if he moves in.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:37 AM

so as it went, he checked the turn and I thought for a while and checked behind.

the river was an 8 and he bet 350.

he has 1200 left after this river bet.

now whats his hand range and whats our play?
Old 12-19-2005, 11:45 AM

I am well rested now. I think my advice was ok'ish. If the turn puts a flush draw out there I am playing it as I said.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:55 PM

looks like a block with AA/AK, shove? I feel like he might have to pay off with the line you took.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:01 PM

I really don't understand why you are so scared. Your description of the opponent does not match your paranoia regarding the strength of his hand.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so as it went, he checked the turn and I thought for a while and checked behind.

the river was an 8 and he bet 350.

he has 1200 left after this river bet.

now whats his hand range and whats our play?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why you need to bet the turn here. You are drawing live against AQ if you get it in on the turn and you get maximum value from your hand if he has KJ-AK-10-10. Waiting until the river to bet/raise makes it a lot easier for you to bemaking the mistake and for him to be escaping with a second best hand.

Also some players will make an aggresive play with QQ or KQ with a big checkraise on the turn, but you only get 350 more when they miss the river and bluff.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is exactly why you need to bet the turn here. You are drawing live against AQ if you get it in on the turn and you get maximum value from your hand if he has KJ-AK-10-10. Waiting until the river to bet/raise makes it a lot easier for you to bemaking the mistake and for him to be escaping with a second best hand.

Also some players will make an aggresive play with QQ or KQ with a big checkraise on the turn, but you only get 350 more when they miss the river and bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

good post.

i think a turn bet has to be made. your set is pretty disguised. i can see most players putting you on some kind of Q+pair combo and checkraising all in to make you pay to draw.