Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 06:21 AM

Default Re: A very weird spot 10 20 party

[ QUOTE ]

btw, if he plays good, the only hand im scared of here at all is AK - but i think that is rare.

[/ QUOTE ]

i might fear TT/JJ more.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i might fear TT/JJ more.

[/ QUOTE ]

fear meaning thats what you think he would play like that, or fear meaning you hope he *doesnt* have that hand?

LA means the only hand we hate to see that he is likely to play like this is AK. If he has JJ or TT then we're really not in that bad of shape, and the size of the pot certainly dictates that we should move in and pray he folds.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:01 AM

fear meaning i think ak is less likely to play this way, but i think its player dependent.

ak in position here i think most good players raise more often because (a) a set plays much better multiway than tptk and (b) theres not so much money in the pot that a raise completely comitts you even if you do hit tptk and (c) such a loose raiser might call anyway and TT and JJ much be harder to play on a Q/K high flop with some but not much action.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:14 AM

Just to throw a number out there if he has AK and calls your push, it's 'only' about a $670 mistake pushing as opposed to folding
Old 12-16-2005, 12:42 PM

This has happened to me twice at party, a minraise a bunch of callers, I reraise out of the blind with AK, and the 2nd or 3rd caller comes over the top. Both times I was like wtf? resteal! Yeah, i got shown AA.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:49 PM

Imo its easy fold. In my experience that's AA/KK very very often.

[ QUOTE ]
he wouldn't repop a min-raise the first time around. Although I've seen big pairs played donkishly like this before

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not donkey play if it provokes you to shove preflop with crap hand.

[ QUOTE ]
If you think he plays good, push. See if he sticks it all in w 99

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are terribly wrong here. Good player is good player because he sometimes play in strange manner in that way that you cant predict that easily what he has. The more decent he is the more reasons to fold. This kind of reasoning is very narrow minded you (and poster who I quoted above) assume that good players play ABC and only use "approved" line with their AA/KK. The thing is that when pot is small in NL you can make many random looking cheap plays (like smothcalling with AA after 2ppl) if this can induce enormous errors (like shoving with AQ) later in the hand. Its not limit, missing value in small pots is not that bad.

[ QUOTE ]
Just fold. I've stopped second guessing myself in these situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:20 PM

I'm looking at this as a poker hand, not as "what happens in the party 2k game", so if that game plays differently from all other poker, then I am wrong, but...

We are not looking at this hand in a vacuum. We are looking at EV. We are looking at what happens every time in your poker life when this move comes up.

So the guy is a good player - a 2p2 type of player. My question is - How many times have all of you 2p2 type players made a move like this w/ AA, KK, QQ, AK and how many times have you made a resteal move like this with another hand? I am a 2p2 type of player, and I have made a move like this far more often with a hand other than AA-QQ, AK than I have with a monster.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:25 PM

when i make this move i have AA/KK almost all of the time. i guess this would be a leak if my opponents were more observant, but they are not.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:02 PM

uhm I think you guys are forgetting that the first raiser was crap with like 80 vpip or something.Dont you think that with AA the 3 cold caller would make a raise to play a big pot vs him?

There's no way he has AA nor KK in this spot imo.
AK is an option tho
Old 12-16-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
uhm I think you guys are forgetting that the first raiser was crap with like 80 vpip or something.Dont you think that with AA the 3 cold caller would make a raise to play a big pot vs him?

There's no way he has AA nor KK in this spot imo.
AK is an option tho

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, the same logic could be used in the reverse.
UTG minraiser has almost any two, hes prolly not going to call a reraise... hmmm... I have AA, let me call and see if people behind me will try to steal all the dead money in the pot with a reraise. If its not reraised, I will play a small pot unless I flop a set.
This logic obviously has some merit if the pot is being reraised with AQo, and if AQo is considering putting in his whole stack here.