Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 08:33 PM

Default Re: Impossible hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Does your fold button stop working after you bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting 22:1 immediate odds and likely 24:1 when all is said and done, yes, my fold button stops working when I'm holding QQ in this situation.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the flop, call 1 SB but not 2SB. Isn't that simpler and cheaper?

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually don't like to state things so strongly, but I think leading the flop is by far the worst of the three options and is in a close race with open-folding. If you get raised and its only one back to you, you have to call becuase of set outs. If you're going to put two bets into the pot, at least do it in a way that will increase your chances of winning (like the c/r).

I think its a tough call between c/r the flop and check-call if its one back to us. The TAG got trapped in this and could easily have stuff like KQ, AT, A9s, A7s?, KJ, and possibly some other things that he might be able to get away from after you c/r the LAG. He didn't have to call two cold preflop, so there are more marginal hands he could've raised with in MP had to call your 3-bet, then have to call the LAGs retarted cold-call/cap.

I think OP may be behind LAG, but there is a decent chance he's ahead. IMO, this cc/cap play means that the LAG probably has some retarded suited hand, maybe it has an ace, maybe not.

I think many people believe that the c/r only has merit if we can get TAG to fold a better hand, if TAG has something like JJ, TT, 99, etc, we might as well let him play along. Well, I think the chances that TAG could fold a better hand + the fact that forcing others out of the pot makes this thing easier for us to play since we can call down UI. If we check-call and UTG or CO comes along, it makes it difficult for us to call when LAG comes out firing, and we still could have the best hand.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:22 PM

Just checked: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2005, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually don't like to state things so strongly, but I think leading the flop is by far the worst of the three options and is in a close race with open-folding. If you get raised and its only one back to you, you have to call becuase of set outs. If you're going to put two bets into the pot, at least do it in a way that will increase your chances of winning (like the c/r).

[/ QUOTE ]
What hands would you bet this flop with? Think about that for a minute.

If I'm the TAG I'm certainly thinking about it. I'm thinking about your 3-bet out-of-position with three players already in for two bets. I'm thinking about how you are making no effort to protect your hand. I'm thinking that you are deliberately provoking a raise and you'll probably get it from one of the two live players behind me.

Mostly I'm thinking about how much money it's going to cost me to show down A9 or KQ.

Acting like you want people to fold is not always the best way to get a fold. Against a good player the bet is at least as effective as a checkraise because it threatens a wringer and it disguises your motives. It also never misses and doesn't expose you to a very unwelcome 3-bet.

Betting is at least as good as checkraising in my opinion. It's certainly not the awful thing you make it out to be.