Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 07:20 PM

Default Live $2/$5 Non-Standard Set Line

Real Juicy $2/$5 NL game at the MGM a few months back.

Game is playing pretty loosy goosy with 4-6 to the flop most hands with people calling big raises PF with crap.

Villian in this hand is the only player at the table who seems to be playing well, but seems to be too tight PF, he has about $1000 behind, I cover.

Villian seems to respect my play, but has seen me making a few moves. I have shown a few big bluffs (including a big one on villian when the flush hit on the turn, he said he folded two pair) to continue to get action from the awful players, and have been playing very aggressively. I have fast played every big hand that I have shown down.

UTG limps, a few more limpers, I limp in CO with red 88. Button (villian) raises to $50 straight. BB calls, UTG calls, two more callers.

Villian and I have been chatting it up throughout the game, he looks at me and says "pot odds?" I nod and call.

His big raise PF after this many limpers narrows down his hand range a lot. I been playing with him for a few hours and have only seen him do this with big pairs (JJ+) and AK.

6 to the flop. Avg stack size of the donks is ~$400-$600

Flop: (~$310) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Checks to me, I check. Villian checks ?

Turn~$310) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Checks to me again (very unusual).
I look to my left and villian is ready to make a bet, I check again.
Villian bets $250. Folds to me?!?
I look at villian for a few moments and raise all in.

Thoughts? I'll explain my reasoning after a few posts.

Edit: Fixed pot size on flop.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Live $2/$5 Non-Standard Set Line

Total madness. Bet the flop, bet the turn, do something! If you are sure he has AK and you are pretty sure he will call because he thinks you are FOS then I guess this is ok, but why not bet the turn if you think the villian likes his hand?
Old 10-21-2005, 07:39 PM

I really hate the flop check, I mean I really HATE it. You should definitely bet the flop in my opinion. If the Preflop raiser has a big pair, you want to get all of his chips. Since the pot is big, he can't really fold his overpair here and is likely to raise you. Checking wouldn't be so bad except that if he has AK, you've just given free cards to a bunch of donks that play any two sOOted. Hell, if the game is really that loose, you might bet your set, get raised by Villain and get another call by a flush draw and end up tripling up on the hand. There are times to slowplay sets, but loose multiway action you gotta bet that.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:43 PM

checked through on flop, but turn pot is bigger [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I like this if you have been known to fastplay, i might just call and try to checkraise on the river, but i love to river checkraise people(donkeys), so this may not work with a smarter player, or if he checks behind

It seems to look like you're trying to convince villain through you maniac actions that you are bluffing, and trying to induce a call that way, since you have been fastplaying all strong hands

Another line looks to ck/raise him on turn, then lead river
Old 10-21-2005, 09:01 PM

Allright.. well, I'm not getting much feedback on this one, so I'll say my thought process.

PF: Pretty standard. Sometimes I might raise. When villian raises, he has a very narrow hand range. I'm not even 100% sure he would raise AKo here.

Flop: Alright.. now leading here is obviously the standard play, but I checked for a few reasons.
Villian is very likely (I would say 80% or so) to have a big pair here, and he will bet it 100% of the time, if he does.

When villian fires out his bet (which would be somewhere between 200-300) it is very likely that he picks up 2-3 callers who will call with any piece of the board or any kind of draw. I am not so sure that these players will make these calls if there is a bet and a raise to them, although the draws still come.

Once he gets a few callers, I plan on check/raising the field. While this is obviously a very strong play, and may get people to lay down, no draws are going anywhere, and I don't think that the donks can fold getting the massive pot odds they're being offered if they think they have any kind of chance to win the pot. Thus, I feel that there is a good chance I can stack 2 or more of the donks.

Obviously, I risk a free card here, but I think that it is a very rare situation.

Turn: When villian checked behind, I was 95% sure that he had AK, and that he had now hit top pair. When it checked to me, and I saw him ready to fire, I figured that this was a great opportunity. Again... it is very likely that 1 or more of the donks calls this bet (and yes, they will still call with any draw, here), and my logic behind my flop check again applies.

If it folds to me (which I figured had about a 25% chance of happening) I thought that villian would never be able to put me on a hand, and would think that I was full of [censored], and would call with AK.

Meh?
Old 10-21-2005, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are sure he has AK and you are pretty sure he will call because he thinks you are FOS

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the reason behind the all-in raise. Doesn't it look like a blatant steal?

[ QUOTE ]
why not bet the turn if you think the villian likes his hand

[/ QUOTE ]
Because I am nearly positive that he will bet, and then I can trap a bunch of the donks in the middle. If I bet, he is likely to raise them out.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should definitely bet the flop in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]
CLEARLY this is the standard line, and I would do this 95% of the time.

[ QUOTE ]
If the Preflop raiser has a big pair, you want to get all of his chips.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is true, but I also want chips from the donks.

[ QUOTE ]
he can't really fold his overpair here and is likely to raise you

[/ QUOTE ]
Which makes the donks fold.

[ QUOTE ]
Checking wouldn't be so bad except that if he has AK, you've just given free cards to a bunch of donks that play any two sOOted.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that he has a big pair here 80% of the time, but obviously, free cards suck bad here.

[ QUOTE ]
. Hell, if the game is really that loose, you might bet your set, get raised by Villain and get another call by a flush draw and end up tripling up on the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
While this is certainly possible, I think it's more likely when I've got more donks stuck with crappy hands.

[ QUOTE ]
There are times to slowplay sets, but loose multiway action you gotta bet that.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this the vast majority of the time.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i might just call and try to checkraise on the river, but i love to river checkraise people(donkeys), so this may not work with a smarter player, or if he checks behind

[/ QUOTE ]
I think he checks behind too often for this line. I probably don't check raise on the river nearly enough, though. Almost never.

[ QUOTE ]
It seems to look like you're trying to convince villain through you maniac actions that you are bluffing, and trying to induce a call that way, since you have been fastplaying all strong hands

[/ QUOTE ]
That's exactly right.

[ QUOTE ]
Another line looks to ck/raise him on turn, then lead river

[/ QUOTE ]
I prefer the all in on the turn because he might still call with draws/weaker hands.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:32 PM

What kind of a raise was the big one you pulled on him before? Was it an AI raise?

I prefer a standard raise here, but I do understand your reasoning, as a standard raise might look too strong.

I like it overall, especially given the history you gave us.

-T
Old 10-21-2005, 11:35 PM

Nice fleshed-out thought process.

How would villain react to you leading into his made hand on the turn? I think there is a fair chance that you will get raised, and be able to get more in there.

-T