Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 11-05-2005, 06:44 PM

Default Why you should care that Americans still believe in God:

The Republicans are still the majority party.

There is often talk about if the world would be a better place if everyone was aware that there is no God, and I am a firm believer that this country would be much better off without the false belief in God, and one of the primary reasons for that is that the Republican party would no longer hold the majority.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Why you should care that Americans still believe in God:

Well, I don't think either of the two main parties is beyond reproach. We tend to look at it as if it were a football game or something. Us vs Them. What worries me is the debt, and trying to blame that on one party or the other is silly.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the Republican party would no longer hold the majority.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing basic to xtrianity that supports a Republican platform. There are Jerry Falwells and there are others very tolerant left of middle idealogies, both xtian. A person chooses their religious strain, as most religious people on here attest to - they studied others and chose one. There core approach to life doesn't follow from their religion, their religion follows from their core approach to life.

IOW, what attracts one to a specific strain? Something about it fits into their worldview so they 'adopt' it. You don't find that people say, "I disagree with everything about sect ZZ but I'm joining anyway because it is the true faith."

Other faiths have the range of conservative and tolerant adherants, usually divided into sects but there is often a full range of views within a sect. Conservatism is a worldview/mindset, xtianity is just the current way a lot of it is expressed in america, it may still be the dominant political force even stripped of religion, although religion does make a great delivery method.

It's not hard to conceive of a charismatic tolerant left leaning xtian coming forth and rallying populace with rhetoric about love and sharing and equality, rather than the the current 'my morals or else' tone now in vogue.

Although you're right about the situation, I think the link between the right and xtianity is arbitrary and not inherent.

luckyme
Old 11-05-2005, 09:24 PM

Political leanings are generally something people choose (using free will). Their religion is generally inherited from their parents.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:44 PM

Maybe we should have a separation of Church and State article in our Constitution.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe we should have a separation of Church and State article in our Constitution.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously it's the republican party that keeps having issues w/ the separation of church+state.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously it's the republican party that keeps having issues w/ the separation of church+state.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Left minded folks, especially the ACLU, who even oppose the Gov't even acknowledging the existence of religion are the ones guilty of needlessly stressing on this issue. You will see in full force as Christmas approaches and heaven forbid some city puts up a Nativity scene.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:17 PM

Sorry to hijack for a quick moment Zee.

Daddyio,

Is your new location: "Between the Sacred & Profane" a subtle way to bust on Navy?

RJT
Old 11-05-2005, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to hijack for a quick moment Zee.

Daddyio,

Is your new location: "Between the Sacred & Profane" a subtle way to bust on Navy?

RJT

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all...just an old joke w/my best friend from USMA who's also a serious Catholic about our struggles adhering to certain Catholic teachings that would result in frequent trips to the Confessional [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2005, 11:43 PM

i file no briefs for the republican party, but where did you come up w/ this stuff? i've been to your site and you look pretty young. why not take a month off from piling up money and read about the history of american politics since, say, 1914. and, by the way, you are old enough to remember that bill clinton clasped that same bible (carried on the side the cameras were showing) and had is lip slightly quivering when ever he had a photo-op leaving church...................b