Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 05-14-2003, 09:28 AM

Default Rounders hand

How can KGB be so sure his Aces full is the best hand in the beginning of Rounders? After all Mike could have quads. It's not very likely, but it's definitely possible.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Rounders hand

Strange, i was thinking about this before clicking on this forum today.

I guess they just had him walk off after showing his hand for the film effect.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:57 AM

I don't know if KGB is sure about what Mike's holding, but he knows that he has a solid hand and he plays it accordingly.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:08 PM

He knew from the script that he would win - duh!
Old 05-14-2003, 03:43 PM

How can KGB be so sure his Aces full is the best hand in the beginning of Rounders?

Please tell me when you have has Aces full and didnt think you held the nut hand??

I would also go all in with Aces full. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Old 05-14-2003, 03:56 PM

I'm gonna guess that the look on Mike's face when he showed the aces was enough to know he had won.
Old 05-15-2003, 01:28 AM

I have a question. What do you think KGB had at the end when he was beat by the nut straight?
Old 05-15-2003, 02:34 AM

Default Rounders: the worst poker i have ever seen

I think that the movie is great, but the poker in the movie is horrible. First of all, when teddy called mikes 2000 dollar bet in the beggining of the movie, mike put teddy on a flush draw. R u f**kin kiddin me! There was a $1000 in the pot plus the small blind before the flop. Mike bet $2000. Teddy is gonna miss the flush by the river 1 in 3 times, and he calls a bet thats twice the size of the pot, heads up!!! Thats horrible. How can mike even put him on a flush draw. You have to put him on 2 pair or a set right away! Now, the 9 comes, completing the boat for mike. And what does he do? He checks, "hoping that a spade will fall". And what if a spade doesnt fall? He just missed another $2000 bet on the turn. You have to assume that if teddy is indeed on a flush draw, he will call at least $2000 now, since he doesnt understand pot odds anyhow. And the spade comes, and teddy bets, and mike pushes all in. I actually agree with that play!
Now, as for the end of the movie, the flop comes 6 9 10r. Now, teddy puts mike on a sr8 draw. he thinks he has 10J or 8J. Now, teddy pays the size of the pot to draw to his str8. You gotta be kiddin me. As for teddy, once he felt that mike missed his draw, whats the point of betting if you already have a hand? He isnt gonna call anyway. Teddy wasnt affraid of the ace, so the ace either improved his hand, or he could beat an ace. I put teddy on A10s!
-vitaly
Old 05-15-2003, 04:01 AM

Default Re: Rounders: the worst poker i have ever seen

I agree that some of the poker is questionable. But I think most of it makes sense and in any case it's better than anything else in the movies. And remember that KGB is on tilt at the end, and he has made it personal, he doesn't just want to win, he wants to humiliate Mike.
Old 05-15-2003, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Rounders: the worst poker i have ever seen

Implied odds in no-limit are a bit higher than limit. The bets are small in comparison to the stacks, so a call of the realtively small pot with a flush draw is generally justified.