Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2003, 12:09 PM

Default Solid Players Raising Trash

If you are an overall winning player who considers yourself to be solid, (basically follow HPFAP starting hand guide) do you ever raise with trash (like 4-7 off, 3-9 off) just to throw players off? If so, how often? Once every 3or 4 sessions or more? If I don't ever do it (which I don't) should I? Is it worth it just to change your image?
Old 02-22-2003, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Solid Players Raising Trash

I think that if you felt you had to change your image this would be a good way to do it. The one strength to this is that when you do show one of the strong hands that you typically would play the other players might think you are just lucky, and anytime people think you beat them by anything other than skill works hugely in your favor, I believe.
Old 02-22-2003, 03:06 PM

I raise numerous times each session in late position with no one in or in some cases a predictable opponent who I have good control over. I may win the pot cause of position. Plus the times I showdown the hand the table will see I raised it.

There's no need to make an "image" play after the flop because the times you showdown (whether your hand is good or not) will give off the effect you want.

There's no need, however, to raise the really trashy hands (except as a blind steal) since whether you raise with 8-3 or 9-7 doesn't make too much of a difference once your opponents see you raised with it preflop. Either way everybody knows you were raising with a hand most people don't raise with. So why raise with a hand that has almost no chance of winning like 8-3(blind steals excepted.) 9-7 is good enough for me in late position.

But if you can't play well after the flop then this will cost you money at first. But you'll never get good at post flop play unless you put yourself in a lot of weird situations like this.
Old 02-22-2003, 05:08 PM

As with most topics... this topic is addressed in HPFAP. If you want to vary your raising, HPFAP advises raising UTG with a medium suited connector. I think this is good advice. You should already be raising in LP with a wide range of hands.
Old 02-22-2003, 05:16 PM

do you ever raise with trash (like 4-7 off, 3-9 off) just to throw players off?

I believe knowledgeable players call that tilt.

Seriously, have a reason for your actions. I don't know if i could raise with the hands you mentioned.
Wait for something where the flop can at least help you and to have a hand your opponents wouldnt expect a raise with.

Stick with small pairs or low to med suited connectors.

Good luck