Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-26-2005, 06:22 PM

Default Re: My friend got fired for saying \"Merry Christmas\"

[ QUOTE ]
This may be so, but wouldn't you agree that people are too uptight? I think your reply is a good example.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is being to uptight- the guy who fired him, or the jewish guy who (presumably) complained? The guy who fired him was likely correct- i certainly wouldn't want my employees making statements that are likely to drive customers away. As for the Jewish guy, he has a legitimate complaint about his service, and is free to report it.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:48 PM

The Jewish guy, for actually bothering to report it?
Old 12-26-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He worked at Modell's sporting goods, and a Jewish customer had bought something. He said "Merry Christmas", and the customer said "Thanks, but I celebrate Hanukah". He replied with: "Ok, have a merry christmas, remember the Christ". The Jewish customer was not amused.

[/ QUOTE ]
So he/she didn't get sacked for saying "Merry Chritmas"!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, sounds like your friend got fired for being a douche.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-27-2005, 01:20 AM

"Or perhaps he hated his job anyway, and decided it would be funny to pick on an uptight client."

From what you say, all the client said was, "Thanks, but I'm Jewish." Not quite sure if this qualifies as an uptight client.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right...Jews deserve to be walked on by ignorant Christian dicktards. He tried to let your friend know politely that he didn't celebrate Christmas, and your friend responded like an assbag. But you're right, the Jewish guy REPORTING such assbaggery is the one who's at fault here.

Wow.

Edit To Add:
I wonder if you (or your friend) or serious Christians would be so callous about this issue if it were reversed. IE- Christian goes to secular store to buy presents, is checking out, and the checker says, "Happy Hanukah"...to which the Christian politely replies, "thanks but I'm Christian and celebrate Christmas"...and then polite Christian customer gets told, "okay, Happy Hanukah...remember Christ was a fraud who never rose from the grave and is a false god you're worshipping."

Yeah, I'm sure most Christians would let that one roll right off their back.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:57 AM

Did he work for twoplustwo? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] where is your god now?
Old 12-27-2005, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right...Jews deserve to be walked on by ignorant Christian dicktards. He tried to let your friend know politely that he didn't celebrate Christmas, and your friend responded like an assbag. But you're right, the Jewish guy REPORTING such assbaggery is the one who's at fault here.

Wow.

Edit To Add:
I wonder if you (or your friend) or serious Christians would be so callous about this issue if it were reversed. IE- Christian goes to secular store to buy presents, is checking out, and the checker says, "Happy Hanukah"...to which the Christian politely replies, "thanks but I'm Christian and celebrate Christmas"...and then polite Christian customer gets told, "okay, Happy Hanukah...remember Christ was a fraud who never rose from the grave and is a false god you're worshipping."

Yeah, I'm sure most Christians would let that one roll right off their back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I am FAR from a serious Christian, or a member of any religious group for that matter, and therefor I couldn't answer your question from that perspective, but I know if I went to a Jewish-owned store and bought something, and the storekeeper told me "Happy Hanukah" as I was leaving, I would simply reply with a "you too" instead of letting him know how thats not my holiday, as I really doubt he cares. What I celebrate is MY business. I wouldn't tell him how I don't celebrate Hanukah, just as I don't tell people that tell me "Merry Christmas" that I don't celebrate that. No one CARES what you celebrate, so why bother telling some random person "Yea but I don't celebrate that"? Good for you. Just accept the kind words for what they are without any further implication and leave the store.

BTW, you are too uptight.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:07 AM

He didn't get fired for saying "Merry Christmas", he got fired for being an a$$hole to a customer.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea, but that wouldn't have made as good of a title

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-27-2005, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He worked at Modell's sporting goods, and a Jewish customer had bought something. He said "Merry Christmas", and the customer said "Thanks, but I celebrate Hanukah". He replied with: "Ok, have a merry christmas, remember the Christ". The Jewish customer was not amused.

[/ QUOTE ]

The title of this thread was certainly misleading.

Some quick points:

Your Friend: MUCH BETTER to an *unknown* customer to say "Happy Holidays". CLEARLY WRONG to say "Merry Christmas" if the customer was known not to celebrate Christmas.

Jewish Customer: SOMEWHAT BETTER to let greetings of Merry Christmas roll off him.

Friend: WAY OVER THE LINE to reply "Ok, have a merry christmas, remember the Christ"

Jewish Customer: CLEARLY CORRECT (in fact, he may have a moral obligation) to report the cleck to management or the owner. The owner needs to know that he has someone working for him that is completely lacking in sense and therefore costing him money.

Regarding the last point:

Let's say you try a restaurant for the first time and note that everything seems dirty - e.g. the counter, table, silverware. bathroom and so on. It's apparent the management or ownereship doesn't care so you don't go back and you should tell your friends to avoid the place. In this case there isn't a good reason to report the problems to uncaring management (but you may want to notify the Board of Health).

You are also a regular in a place that is usually very clean. One day you dine there and notice, for the first time, that the bathroom is a dirty, unkempt mess. In this case you are obligated to tell the manager/owner since it's very likely that he would want this taken care of immediately (perhaps he assigned the task to a lazy, dishonest employee - one he should fire).

~ Rick