Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 10-10-2005, 11:12 PM

Default Re: Hachem really missed out

yeah, that idiot really missed out.

Old 10-11-2005, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I asked Rich Corbin if Hachem won his seat thru stars. He shook his head, looked down, and said, "No but I wish he did".

[/ QUOTE ]

The big reason he wishes he did is because it would have been a HUGE plus for Stars to claim an official 3-peat.
to have 3 straight Stars qualifiers go on to win the main-event would have been incredible (sorry Stars...I tried my best...but didn't quite make it just like 1100+ other Stars qualifiers).

Speaking of David Williams: didn't he qualify on Stars also when he finished 2nd to Raymer in 2004?
If so...isn't it kind of odd that he DOESN'T represent Stars and instead is a representative for Bodog?
Old 10-11-2005, 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeh, but it is not as strong an endorsement if he didn't win his seat on that site.

[/ QUOTE ]

why is this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not as strong for the site, why should Hachem guve a [censored] about how strong the message is? All he should care about is how much the site is willing to pay him.l And anyways the 7.5 million makes your point moot, hachem got it good.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:15 AM

I suspect his biggest mistake wasnt getting UK or similar nationality so that he wouldnt have to pay tax on his winnings (like Mel Judah did or I assume why he did).

How much are people thinking that the pros are sponsored for?
Old 10-11-2005, 10:12 AM

You will still have to pay taxes if you are foreign. Just US taxes and not Uk or whereever you are from. If I went and won the California Lotto, you bet your ass I would be paying CA state taxes even though I dont live there b/c thats where I made my money.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:49 AM

You sure? So does mean you wouldn't pay taxes if you came here and won a similar tournament? I doubt that is true, but i still fear you may be right about Brits who win prizes in the US, my guess is the tax liability would be limited to the greater of what was due under US or UK taxation laws. Obviously in our case only the US taxes would be due, if that is the case, as there are no liabilities on gambling winnings in the UK.

Mack
Old 10-11-2005, 10:59 AM

This isn't true. If a Canadian won the WSOP, they would not pay taxes on it. I don't know about other countries.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You will still have to pay taxes if you are foreign. Just US taxes and not Uk or whereever you are from. If I went and won the California Lotto, you bet your ass I would be paying CA state taxes even though I dont live there b/c thats where I made my money.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends if your country has a netting off treaty with the US, in thr UK gambling tax is 0% so that is what you pay if you win in the states, as I understand it this is not the case with Austrailia so he will have got his money after tax.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:27 PM

Right--there are two dozen or so countries covered by treaty from which you can go to LV, win the WSOP, and not have to pay the US income tax. I believe most are in Europe, I have no idea about Australia.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How many commmercials have you seen Varkonyi or Furlong in?

[/ QUOTE ]

nh. well, wait, haven't you seen the ads for this:

http://www.wiseguyson.com/