Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 09-24-2005, 08:49 PM

Default Re: How many states have you been to?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
does driving through count?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not unless you stopped to do something. Tourist traps (South of the Border in SC, Corn Palace in Iowa) count, chain restaurants not unique to that state do not.

Airport transfers definitely do not count.

In any case, 37/50. Big Sky country kicks my ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your rules are pretty strict. I count airports and drive throughs but not flyovers. Just have to set foot there.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
does driving through count?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not unless you stopped to do something. Tourist traps (South of the Border in SC, Corn Palace in Iowa) count, chain restaurants not unique to that state do not.

Airport transfers definitely do not count.

In any case, 37/50. Big Sky country kicks my ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your rules are pretty strict. I count airports and drive throughs but not flyovers. Just have to set foot there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I count drive throughs but not airports.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense. Generally when in the airport you actually set foot on the ground of the State in which you have landed. On a true drivethrough your feet never touch the ground. So if anything your defining criteria should be the opposite.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:57 PM

31. The only state I've been to in the South is Louisiana (On purpose). It might be 32 but I honestly can't remember if I've been to Mass.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense. Generally when in the airport you actually set foot on the ground of the State in which you have landed. On a true drivethrough your feet never touch the ground. So if anything your defining criteria should be the opposite.

[/ QUOTE ]

driving through you actually see the state, you either drive though the cities or see all the names on exits. if you have a layover in an airport you don't see any of the state...all aiports feel the same anyways.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

driving through you actually see the state, you either drive though the cities or see all the names on exits. if you have a layover in an airport you don't see any of the state...all aiports feel the same anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. If you were a passenger and slept all the way across the State then it wouldn't count. Is this correct?
Old 09-24-2005, 09:01 PM

Old 09-24-2005, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. If you were a passenger and slept all the way across the State then it wouldn't count. Is this correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't count it. I've also never driven through a state and not stopped for gas or something, but I've only driven through states in the west and they're all much bigger than eastern states so you pretty much have to stop.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you have a layover in an airport you don't see any of the state...all aiports feel the same anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interstate highways all feel the same, too, hence the rule.

You might as well say you've been to Alaska because you saw pictures on the Discovery channel.

To say you've been to a state, you need to experience it first hand. That could be as quick as stopping for pit BBQ in Oklahoma on a state road or taking a quick snapshot of you and your road trip buddies touching the St Louis Arch. But it has to be something.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:18 PM

Driving through the state should definitley count. I've driven through Tennesse many times on different routes, but have never actually stopped their other than food/gas. Earlier this year I went to New Jersey for the first time for work. Got off the plane went straight to the office. Worked 2 long days only leaving the office to go across the street to the hotel. I would consider my Tennesse visits much more meaningful.

Still haven't decided if I get to count Colorado when I have a layover in Denver next month. I'm leanng towards no.

Been to 27 states (Including a weekend in North Dakota, everybody should visit Fargo sometime). Nevada will make 28 next month. Also, DC, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas & 8 countries.