Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 07-26-2003, 05:56 AM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"
Default Oh Yea? Call this.........

Muckleshoot 4/8 9 handed started as a weak tight game, more rocks than a cement company, but eventually turned into a thing of beauty.

UTG with Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I limp, 7 limp behind me.

Flop(8sb) A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Checks to the button(decent) who bets, I slide one off, Loose weak EP player calls, CO(solid) calls.

Turn(6bb): 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, EP bets, CO raises, Button 3 bets

Your Move?
Old 07-26-2003, 06:58 AM

Default Re: Oh Yea? Call this.........

Slavic,

I'm inclined to fold in this spot. Depending on the action after you, you're probably getting between 5.33-1 and 6-1 on you're call.

OK, someone has the nut straight and someone has at least two pair. I'm assuming you're down to 9 outs for your flush and probably splitting with a King hitting the board.

Bottom line: I'm thinking that I'm just barely getting odds to call here and if the board pairs on the river I could be in trouble. Combine this with a possible 4-bet on the turn and I'm folding.
Old 07-26-2003, 09:01 AM

You'll only be getting 4:1 if you call. You can't count on the Kd or Td as outs, so you probably only have 7 outs or needing 6:1 odds. I think I'm folding here.
Old 07-26-2003, 09:22 AM

You'll only be getting 4:1 if you call. You can't count on the Kd or Td as outs, so you probably only have 7 outs or needing 6:1 odds. I think I'm folding here.

Uh... any K gives him the nuts, and the K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] gives him the nut flush, so I think I'd go ahead and count that one as an out. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] This is an easy call.
Old 07-26-2003, 09:42 AM

Default Ok, this is silly...

I've noticed a small trend recently of, "Should I fold my big draw?" posts. Here's the answer. Ready? The answer is no. You should not fold. I don't care what the situation is, you should not fold. I don't care if it's 8 bets to you on the turn and if you lose this pot, you won't have enough to buy beer for the trip home. You still do not fold. In this example, our hero has four cards that give him the nuts (admittedly, the button is likely to have KJ), seven more that almost certainly make him the winner, and one (the T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) that is only quite likely to make him the winner. Folding is sheer madness...

Situations where it's correct to throw away a decent draw (flush or straight draw) in limit poker are very few and far between. And when it is correct to throw the draw away, it is only very marginally so (such that, if you call, you lose very little). So don't worry about it... just put the damn chips in and pray.

This is like the "what do I do with the nuts?" posts. This is not where the money is won and lost in limit holdem (well, I take that back... if you routinely make these folds then this is where the money is lost). Stop wasting brain cycles on this crap.
Old 07-26-2003, 09:43 AM

Gotta call. Too bad it's so expensive, but you are drawing to the nut flush. I would bet if I river the nuts. Calling three cold will probably tip them off...
Old 07-26-2003, 10:14 AM

Easy call.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:13 AM

Can't believe no one has berated you yet for checking in the first place. You got what you deserved (a painful decision) for not betting it.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:37 AM

Do you think he has the best hand at this point? If not, do you think he has a decent chance of winning the pot with his bet? So why should he bet again?
Old 07-26-2003, 12:18 PM

Everyone,

I seem to be in the minority here thinking folding is the best play. Most say easy call and I'm just looking for the reason why. I see it as a very close call at best considering the pot odds and an apparent lack of any implied odds.

Thanks for the insight...

jujujaja34