Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2003, 08:49 PM

Default Re: Sosa a cheat and a liar

If they did, they're idiots. As far as I know, you can x-ray the things without damaging them if you really want to know.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Sosa a cheat and a liar

FOS? Otherwise - what you said sounds good! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2003, 01:47 AM

Default Full of doo-doo n/t

Old 06-05-2003, 05:48 AM

Default Do Corked Bats Help?

Rob Neyer says on espn.com baseball that they don't, and provides a pretty good reason why. Just fuel for the fire.

KJS

PS> Who makes these bats for big leaguers? Maybe the league should have a talk with them.
Old 06-05-2003, 05:57 AM

Default Re: Full of doo-doo n/t

Thanks! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2003, 10:22 AM

Default Re: Do Corked Bats Help?

In response to KJS, yeah, they said on SportsCenter that the bats don't add that much, but it's still illegal, and Sosa knew that. Also, in regards to the weight of a bat, there is an old Ted Williams story. He was once mad at a batmaker for giving him a bat that he claimed was a little off, so in order to test him, the batmaker made 6 or so bats each differing by an eight of an ounce. He was able to put them all in order. Now, I know Sosa is no Ted Williams, and Ted Williams had all the bats there to compare, but anyone who has swung a baseball bat as much as Sosa has can definately tell is all of a sudden one of them is lighter. He KNEW going up to the plate that he had the wrong bat, but he made sure to leave himself with a convenient excuse.

Another anit-Sosa tirade: (I'm sure most of you have heard his, but to those few of you that haven't) Last year, Sosa came out and said that he wanted to be the first one to get tested for steroids when that was made mandatory, so that he could prove that all his records were legit. So, Rick Reilly, a sportswriter for Sports Illustrated, called him up and said that there was a clinic about ten miles from Wrigley Field, and that any time Sosa was free Reilly would pick him up and pay for any testing, because Reilly said he wanted to help Sosa clear any rumors, and also because Reilly felt it would be good for baseball. However, Sosa rejected this idea, and then he flipped out at Reilly the next time that Reilly was in the Cubs clubhouse. Know I know that we are all innocent until proven guilty, but if Sosa had nothing to hide, then there was no way he would have turned down not only an opportunity to finally prove himself, but an opportunity to gain an ENORMOUS amount of fan support in the process. Now I'm not saying that he is neccessarily using steroids, but this screams out that he is abusing some sort of performance enhancing drug.

Well, I guess thats my two cents...