Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 11:24 PM

Default Calling a push with another all in

This hand put me in a position I've never dealt with before.
There was a guy all in leaving myself against another (relatively) good player to fight for the side pot. This guy has been playing tight so when he called preflop I knew he had something. I minraised him to see where I was and his push caught me by surprise. I knew I was behind to most of his likely holdings (AA,KK,JJ) Should I have just folded the flop?

MP is a "typical" microlimit player so his all in could have been anything.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) converter

BB ($4.45)
UTG ($18.90)
MP ($4.25)
CO ($6.15)
Hero ($16.70)
SB ($3.55)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $0.2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $4.25</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $4.25, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls $4.05.

Flop: ($12.90) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $14.65</font>, Hero calls $6.45 (All-In).

Turn: ($40) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($40) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $40
Old 04-14-2005, 07:59 AM

Default Re: Calling a push with another all in

You said that you raised for 1 reason: To knew where you stand. If after he showed you that he obviously had great strength or lots of gamble, why would you call? If you were going to call you should of raised all in.

YOU CAN'T DO BOTH. It's either or.

Either you raise to find out where you're at and fold if you come up against opposition. Or you push and put the hard decision to him.

No overcards fell on the flop. It was as uncoordinated as possible. There is no middle ground here. Push, or you can put him to a meaningful decision and fold if he comes at you full force.

Interestingly enough you had $12 left on the flop. Why would you min re-raise? He raised you $3. This was a push/fold decision. In order to play better than the opposition you can't make the same mistakes they do.