Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2005, 02:57 AM

Default Re: Suggestions for a good chair for poker

If you're going to Office Depot check out the Harrington. Its what I got. Its leather and got some serious cushioning. If you want a primo ergonomic chair check out the posteurtech II. You can spend 8hrs straight in the thing and not have a single back problem.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
bdk3clash- How much you pay for that chair? If its the one I'm thinking of (OM-200) Office Max sells it for $59.99

[/ QUOTE ]
I paid a little bit more than that. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2005, 03:30 AM

i love how ~1/2 or the replies say to get a leather chair when the op implicitly says "no leather." its prolly just attempts at humor that get wasted in print...
Old 03-03-2005, 03:31 AM

i have major lower back problems, the one thing i like about Leap is that it has more lower back support.

what are some of the things u dont like about Leap?

what do u like about freedom?

thx.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the post Terry. Where did you get the chair and what was the cost?

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

He had a link in his post to their website.

$1,155 with headrest, $985 without for the chair.

Ponks
Old 03-03-2005, 04:47 AM

i sit on one of those big gym balls. it helps my posture.

fuji
Old 03-03-2005, 05:23 AM

http://www.steelcase.com/na/products.aspx?f=11848

I liked the one at work I use so much I bought one for home.
Think they list for about $300, got mine for 125.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:19 AM

When I moved from full-time office drone to full-time poker player, the one thing that carried over was the Aeron chair. Pricey, but I love em.

I know it's out of your $150 price range but I'd still think about it.

2nd
Old 03-03-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where did you get the chair and what was the cost?

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought from Office Ergonomix (not a Firefox friendly site – use IE [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ) Paid $847 with all the extras, free shipping. Like most places, they do not stock the Freedom chair; all are made to order and shipped direct from the manufacturer – took just a little under six weeks. I did find a couple places on the web that stock some basic black configurations of the chair for quick shipping but this was the best price by a good margin.

I’ll tie up some other questions and PMs here too.

Since this is not exactly chump change, I did put in the time to come down off the mountain and drive into the city to actually sit in the Freedom, Leap, and Aeron chairs. A general rule about ergonomic seating is that the more curved / sculptured a chair is, the less likely it is to be comfortable for any particular body, hence the flat once size fits all airplane seat.

My web research showed the Aeron to be a love it or hate it kind of thing so I strongly suggest anyone considering it try one out first. Personally, I hated it. I’m a tad on the scrawny side and the mesh seat was uncomfortable on my bony posterior. A lot of people really like them, though. It seems to be the most “personal” of the three chairs.

I found very few who had any problems with the Freedom, and those complaints tended to be very minor, e.g., a small broken part that the manufacturer did replace, and one guy who didn’t like the feel of the back contour when fully reclined, although he liked it fine in other positions.

I didn’t find many online user reviews of the Leap chair, but while I was doing my research I just happened to see a NASA mission control room on TV and all the chairs were Leap ... so consider it the choice of rocket scientists ... lots and lots of levers and controls and adjustments.

The Leap is a lot more padded than the Freedom and has a good “ahhh” factor when first sitting down. All those controls means that just about anyone would probably be able to find a comfort zone. The Freedom is quite a bit firmer and more strongly contoured – it doesn’t have a cushy easychair feeling when plopping into it – so I strongly suggest trying it before buying it. Just keep in mind that the Freedom shows its’ stuff more in the way you feel when you get up after a long session than with an instant gratification when you first sit down.

Before I had tried the Freedom I was a bit leery of it’s lack of adjustment controls. Once I sat in one it was clear that the chair is so well designed that it really doesn’t need them. It really does allow freedom of movement automatically. I also liked that the arms move up and down synchronously ... and a gel seat.

So I was torn between the Leap and the Freedom, leaning toward Leap largely because of the price difference, but coveting the headrest of the Freedom for occasionally reclining during long sessions at the computer. I was ready to flip a coin when I got sucked in by a Google ad for the Freedom “best prices on the internet”. When I went to the Office Ergonomix website and saw “call for a quote” I fully expected to be hanging up on an aggressive salesman, but gave it a shot. When he gave me the price I was actually stunned for a moment, then said “Give me a green one with everything on it.”

Was it worth it? Oh yeah. No more aches and pains, no big stretches or moans and groans when I get out of the chair at the end of the day. The fact that I am more comfortable and can put in more hours means the chair really does pay for itself ... and then some ... an actual investment.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:22 PM

Get a Zero Gravity Chair if possible. It takes all of the pressure off of your spine. I'm thinking of getting one with a separate floor based tray system to put my laptop on. It might seem like overkill, but all this sitting while playing poker will take it's toll after a few years. On the downside, they are expensive and would be harder to integrate with a desktop setup.

Here's a link to the style i'm taking about:

Zero Gravity Chair