Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Barron\'s article on slowplaying top set

On the whole, the play in this hand isn't that interesting. I agree that top set QQ on a disconnected, rainbow board and a smallish pot is good to slowplay.

On the other hand, Im an increasing adherent to the belief that "fastplay is the new slowplay", meaning if you play big hands fast, you tend to get more action than you would if you slowplayed them.

Admittedly, sometimes, if Barron bets this flop, he wins a small pot only. OTOH, particularly against aggressive or tricky opponents, fastplay will get you more than slowplay will. A lot of these opponents will checkraise the flop if you bet and lead the turn, allowing you to raise.

The fact that K2 made two pair on 4th street seems to me to be more coincidence than anything else.

Also, consider that if K2 had been raised out at the flop, this pot could potentially have been heads up on the turn/river, and god knows how many bets middle set would put in.

I probably play it the same as Barron, but overall the play in this situation is subject to debate.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Barron\'s article on slowplaying top set

I've come to the conclusion that the worse the players the less often you should slowplay and the better the players the more likely you can milk enough extra bets here or there to compensate for the occasional debacle of getting outdrawn.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:25 PM

Your image plays a huge key.

Sometimes, for example, people get used to how I'm playing only a few hands an hour and all of my action gets too much respect.

So I will occasionally throw in that slowplay or that "edgy" play in order to (hopefully) confuse the issue.

In general, though, I 100% agree that most people slowplay far more than they should and oftentimes would be best off by fastplaying more than they do.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 12-06-2005, 05:29 PM

Particularly in multiway pots (whether large or not), fastplay is usually best.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:10 PM

Yes, that why I think it's almost never correct to slowplay against bad players. The pots are often multiway and they'll call and raise with any crap. So you might as well bet. Against good players, you might scare them off the hand too quickly too often. So a slow play here or there when it makes sense can help.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've come to the conclusion that the worse the players the less often you should slowplay and the better the players the more likely you can milk enough extra bets here or there to compensate for the occasional debacle of getting outdrawn.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is totally opposite. if these guys had half a brain his flop check would SCREAM QQ.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is totally opposite. if these guys had half a brain his flop check would SCREAM QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

No that wouldn't be half a brain, that would be a whole brain. Half a brain would allow you to milk them. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]