Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2004, 07:17 PM

Default I got berated but I like my play

After this hand, I got hammered by the villain in chat for an eternity. I like my play. Agree?
$2/$4 NL at Party.
MP limps, another MP min raises to $8. cutoff and button both call. Im the BB and I call with 5d3d. I normally dont like these kinds of hands but decided to play this one. The limper calls.
The pot is $40. The flop comes Ac 4d 6d. I lead out for $20. MP raises to $60. Folded back to me and I go all in for about $230 total. He calls.
The turn was a diamond and the river was the 7d giving me the straight flush.
He went on and on about how I went all in with junk.
I think my folding equity was decent. Im a favorite against top pair and as it turned out I was a tiny favorite against his 2 pair. See anything wrong with my play?
Old 12-31-2004, 07:29 PM

Default Re: I got berated but I like my play

Wait, Let me get this straight, You called another 4 dollars with low suited connectors at a NL table with 4 people just kind of pissing around preflop. That is the most idiotic thing I've ever seen. If you continue to do that, you're surely going to get busted. And then, you have the audacity to go ahead and push your open ended straight flush draw (not straight/flush draw). Man, you can play at my table any time.

Seriously, nothing wrong with it as long as you aren't too married to the hand with only a flush draw. It's your dream flop and it cost 4 dollars to see. People just get pissy when they lose.

Here's a limit hand for you. This guy is in my top 10 list.
Board A Q 9 A Q rainbow.

Raising war starts on the river. Finally, the guy next to me says, 'Well, I think we're going to chop this anyway, so I'll just call.' Idiot had the Q and was raising it like it was the nuts. So bad. Then I outkicked his king (Ace vs 5) and he moaned about that. Some people just don't really get the game.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:47 PM

You played fine.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:48 AM

It looks like we both moved on from UPF. Your play is fine.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:41 AM

I like check raise all in on the flop better because the flop is almost certainly gonna be bet, and you might get a call before you push.

Other than that, it's all goot.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:36 AM

Just piping in to say I like your play, too. The only thing you've done wrong is to give a crap what some Internet hothead thinks. Obviously you know your play is right and you're fishing for compliments to offset the verbal thrashing you took.

Advice: detach yourself emotionally from the game. If you don't you'll start making mistakes because of it.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:36 AM

Im not fishing for compliments. I was pretty sure the play was good, but I dont pretend to know it all and like a little confirmation now and then just to be sure. Theres been plenty of times I thought a play was good and was told I was wrong by players better than I am.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:05 PM

You've previously commented on an almost identical hand, the only new info being that you were berated for your standard (to many) play.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:48 PM

Well, my hand was a raised pot while yours was unraised, but Im not sure that makes much difference here.

I guess I posted it because I called a min raise with 53s out of position which I dont really like doing. You limped behind several others so you had position. All in all, youre right though. Theyre pretty similar
Old 01-01-2005, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I made a semibluff with a gigantic hand which was almost certainly favored to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, i guess some people like to play poker like that.