Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 09:40 PM

Default AA 5 handed

50/100 AP

Semi-LAG UTG raises, LPP MP Cold calls, I 3bet AA in SB, BB (who is a decent player but too loose preflop and too straightforward postflop) Cold caps, everyone calls (putting MP all in).

Flop T76r

I bet, BB raises, folded to me and I call.

Turn 6r

I check, BB bets, I raise, BB 3bets, I call

River 2s

I check, BB bets, I raise.

OK?
Old 10-16-2005, 09:42 PM

Default Re: AA 5 handed

perfect
Old 10-16-2005, 09:44 PM

beautiful
Old 10-16-2005, 09:49 PM

Why did you checkraise the river instead of capping the turn? I don't see an advantage really. Also I would lean towards 3betting the flop in this spot. I think someone holding KK or QQ will often either cap the flop (then you can still checkraise the turn) or call your flop 3bet and raise the turn, allowing you to 3bet. Also, is it possible he's raising the flop with AK trying to get a free card? In that case 3betting the flop is also better.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:54 PM

i think betting is very suboptimal to checkraising. theres no reason not to let UTG call a bet with his overcards rather than let him fold when its 2 bets back to him correctly. if you wanted to make a case that you could make more bets by 3betting the flop i could understand that, but you decided not to.

if you checkraise the flop i think QQ/KK should give you enough action to make it more profitable than the line you took. hell probably 3bet your flop checkraise or raise you on the turn.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:08 PM

yeah, i think check-raising the flop might be better in retrospect.

i think check-raisng turn and river is almost equivalent to capping and betting the river.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:40 PM

Why not cap the turn and bet the river? Do you think he'll fold any overpair or AT? I don't play 50/100, but I don't think he'll fold.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not cap the turn and bet the river? Do you think he'll fold any overpair or AT? I don't play 50/100, but I don't think he'll fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess it doesnt really make much of a difference, hes drawing to 2 outs or im drawing to 2 outs on the turn. it's a slight EV difference i guess but it depends on how often im ahead (my raise is saying im ahead 66% of the time so I should prolly just cap the turn)
Old 10-16-2005, 11:32 PM

The only reasons to forego a turn cap for a river checkraise are meta-game and psychological. In a game like the Absolute 50/100, where you're often playing against the same opponents day after day, these factors may outweigh the EV sacrificed for this "fancy play," but I doubt it.

The flop line is fairly irrelevant. These players will call two cold on this flop often enough.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BB (who is a decent player but too loose preflop and too straightforward postflop)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where you should start pulling some sickening moves, IMO. Tricky it up. Stopngo the turn, 3-bet, then CR the river sorta stuff [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Also, I think a flop check may be better, because having an extra guy or two in the pot may cause the BB give more action in protecting his overpair.

edit - also, I don't think theres any reason to wait until the river instead of capping the turn.