Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Re: State of the Forum

Jeez Louise
Old 06-25-2005, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Usually what kills forums is not new posters, but old ones who decide, among themselves, that they "own" the forum, and that only their ideas, and only the things that interest them have any value.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one that I know decided this. My post obviously had a tone of concern, not one of condemnation or superiority.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Usually what kills forums is not new posters, but old ones who decide, among themselves, that they "own" the forum, and that only their ideas, and only the things that interest them have any value.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one that I know decided this. My post obviously had a tone of concern, not one of condemnation or superiority.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether you meant it or not the tone was there.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really want to defend Jason here. He did this out of concern. THis was posted when I didn't have any internet connection at my new place and only saw this when it got bumped. I do agree with Jason to an extent, but I also agree with the guy who feels that superiority is a problem. IMO, Jason has never been cliqueish at all and has been very good natured about a lot of ribbing that has been directed at him. He is a valuable contributor just as many other people who post alot and not so much are valuable contributors. I think its just Jason is a little more "high profile" than some of us, that is cool, and it is cool that some don't post as much either. These types of posts need to happen every few months just to get us to refocus and really concentrate on quality over quantity. THere really isn't a need to post like 5 hands a session, but sometimes we do have two or three hands that bothered us. I really hope that those who might've been taken aback by jason's tone don't take any offense to it, as he has always been a pretty positive guy from my experience
Old 06-25-2005, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is crap.

It's is NOT the old time posters who are making SS worse.

If there was just one AKo post, that would be fine. The problem is that posters aren't bothering to read the forums, and there's 10 AKo posts.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether you meant it or not the tone was there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm fairly confident in the following: those on here that have gotten to know me are aware that this was not my intent nor is it in my nature.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the hands they post are standard. Or boring. We in SS should be past these types of hands. Those types of hands belong in Micro-Limit. We thrive off the interesting hands where we are calculating our equity or finding value bets and discussing theory and so on. The interesting hands involve marginal situations

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't disagree with this more. First of all, the different forums were not created for differing skill levels, they were created because the game conditions are different at each level. A beginner that for some reason has a bankroll for $100/$200 isn't going to go post or read the micro forum just because his questions seem boring or standard. The line for a certain hand is going to be vastly different between micro and high limit. So what should he do? Worry that he is boring the regular posters and continue to make mistakes because he doesn't want to inconvenience someone?

Also, I disagree that the close decisions are the interesting ones. Most of these decisions are read dependant. Lets say somebody posts an "interesting" hand and is in a tough spot on the river. If my read is correct this play will yield 0.02 BB per call, its a tough call. If the player is slightly more aggressive than the read then I make 0.12 BB per hand and its an easy call. If he's slightly less aggressive then I lose 0.08BB per hand and should have folded. You can calculate pot odds, range of hands and EV all you want, when it comes down to it its the player read that will make the difference and either way its not going to affect your earn too much. I read these forums to try to find major holes in my game, not read "interesting" hands where the EV is completely dependent on reads. Your AQo post is a good example. Yes many posters old and new may have found the hand uninteresting, but I'm sure more than a few have learned something from that post.

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of us are playing 20k hands a month. We've seen it all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though you may play a lot of hands per month and you have seen it all, if you are making fundamental mistakes like folding on the river in that AQ hand then you are seriously harming your earn. Obviously that situation bothered you or you wouldn't have asked your poker buddy about it. To your surprise, a situation that you thought was very marginal turned out to be very standard. Also, the hand that you thought would be boring and not worthy of posting ended up getting more views and responses than a lot of the "interesting" hands. And as an added bonus, a lot of people learned how to play this very common situation and it will actually make a difference in their earn. I think we need more of the "boring" hands like these. I find the most interesting threads are the ones where somebody might ask about a close river decision, but a decision that seemed standard to him on an earlier street sparks a big discussion. Like the limping KQ UTg+2 thread in mid high a few months ago.

For some reason this thread hogs up my CPU when I try to flatten it. If somebody already addressed this, I apologize as I am unable to view all responses.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:05 AM

wow I've never lost more respect for more posters in such a short amount of time. honestly you guys think the signal to noise ratio in here is good? whatever, get off your high horses. personally everything that jason_t cites is the reason I don't really post in SS anymore. maybe you guys dont care because your bankroll and your e penis are both bigger than mine but whether or not you care about where I post it definitely points out the existence of the problem, the fact that regular posters are getting driven off by mundane [censored] that anyone with the desire to read the first 10 pages and/or use the search function would find easily.

at least my ignore list gets to grow.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The biggest problem with the forum is, and always has been, a lack of participation by posters in their own threads. I've replied to about a dozen hands in the last few days. The original poster has not made a second post in the thread in many of them.

Posting a hand, reading the responses, then posting another hand isn't the way to get better. Post a hand then debate the ideas that people reply with. If you don't agree, challenge them to back up their statements. If you don't understand, ask them to clarify.

Also, I find it really annoying when I take the time to reply to a hand and the original poster never comes back to the thread. I'm much less likely to reply to future threads by that person if they don't participate in their own hand discussions. Many of you probably don't care if I reply to your threads, but I'm sure I'm not alone in that feeling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I've posted one hand in my almost 2 years at 2+2 (I too lurked for a long time before posting, and as you can see from my low post count, still lurk more than I post!) because if I have a questionable hand, I always seem to find similiar hands being posted. (Also, I play B&M and home games and thus see LOTS fewer hands than most!)

But I have to add my 2cents and second what JTG51 said above. The hand I posted, I wanted answers about my play. So I posted preflop. Then replied with flop. Then turn. I never even posted the river because it wasn't interesting --I had a great draw, made my hand and a lot of bets on the end, lucky me! -- and the questions I had were about my play before the river (on the river it was obvious what to do: I had made the nut hand, so I got as many bets in as I could).

The point is that I learned more about my play by posting the hand in parts rather than all at once. I don't know if this would be a viable strategy for many posters, but it's worth thinking about.

And I agree with JTG51: when people have taken the time to reply and give advice, the very least one could do is give a quick thanks. (I must apologize that never did because I didn't want to look like I was bumping a dead thread -- but if I ever post a hand again, I promise to say thank you!)
Old 06-26-2005, 03:18 AM

FWIW, I generally agree that there is a lot of noise in the forum. But, when a person with 4400+ posts in 7 months states it, it appears quite hypocritical. Now go look at the OP's AQo hand post. If a "non-regular" posted this hand, he would be flamed, abused, etc. Who determines the "quality" of that hand post?(or any other, for that matter). Some people find it a waste of space, others find it valuable. If I come across a post I don't want to read, I don't. Simple, isn't it?
The forum is here for all to enjoy, just not a select few.
Closed Thread