Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2005, 03:25 PM

Default Re: 99 vs. a TAG

[ QUOTE ]
You felt that the chance that you were ahead + the chance of getting QQ,JJ to fold and usually showing down on the river was worth firing a second barrel on the turn? Then I think your line is standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't seriously considered that I might be ahead after the flop.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:40 PM

Default Results...

Opponent had Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], and MHING.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:41 PM

I think I'd probably check the turn with the intention of folding the river or fire another one on the river.

Your preflop open-raise isn't late enough to be a steal, so I doubt she's 3-betting anything you're ahead of on the flop. And the 3-bet/check line is somewhat suspicious. I may not even bet the flop here. If I did, I would want to commit to getting a fold out of QQ/JJ/KK and fire the 3rd barrel. However, I doubt that's ever happening and it's against an unknown, who by default I don't try to get folds from. So I would go for a check and a fold.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does no one like a cap preflop?

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

We're betting purely for value PF, and I don't see what 3-betting hands we're extracting value from by capping it as you suggest (or at least mention). Since we need to fear most any broadway card if one flops (either because they're big and suited, AKo, or a bigger pocket pair), we're giving reverse implied odds in a sense with 99 here. Hero will be paid off equally well when a 9 hits the board whether he just calls PF or caps it, and of course not putting that last bet in PF means we have some added ability to manage the odds we offer our opponent later in the hand. Calling seems clearly better than capping, IMO.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:40 PM

I think villian played this hand well. She doesn't put herself in a position to be bluffed off the possible best hand. I would say 70% of the time you are going to get some yahoo(myself included) who is going to raise the 3-bettor wheather or not they have an Ace or a ten for that matter.

I also think Hero's line here is pretty standard. Sometimes the second barrel will fold (If you have a good TAG image)KK-JJ. But not the one I most often would take. I see nothing wrong with folding to any bet as you are behind here 99% of the time. I also would strongly consider checking the flop and bluff-raising the turn should she bet out. I would want a decent enough read that she is capable of a least a marginal fold before I attempt that though.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does no one like a cap preflop?

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

We're betting purely for value PF, and I don't see what 3-betting hands we're extracting value from by capping it as you suggest (or at least mention). Since we need to fear most any broadway card if one flops (either because they're big and suited, AKo, or a bigger pocket pair), we're giving reverse implied odds in a sense with 99 here. Hero will be paid off equally well when a 9 hits the board whether he just calls PF or caps it, and of course not putting that last bet in PF means we have some added ability to manage the odds we offer our opponent later in the hand. Calling seems clearly better than capping, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't do it all the time. But a tag who folds too much I think it can make the hand easier. If we're giving up some fraction of a BB preflop by putting in bets when we are behind, I think sometimes you can make that up postflop by folding out better hands. Just something I was thinking about.

-SmileyEH
Old 06-18-2005, 09:01 PM

If you happen to have notes to the effect that this guy folds too much heads-up for one bet, then yes, I can see that situation-specific move being best. The vast majority of other times, however, calling is far superior.