Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2005, 01:10 AM

Default Re: Most anticipated final in years? Illinois-UNC official NCAA Threa

[ QUOTE ]
And McCants is already gone. Williams, Felton, and May soon to follow. Yeah UNC is just gonna be loaded next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm of the opinion that, if any basketball player is guaranteed a first round selection (ie guaranteed contract), then said player would be an idiot for staying for another year.

For instance, I think that Deron Williams would be idiot if he came back (don't worry - he won't - Dee will probably test the waters as well).

If that is the criteria, then UNC loses pretty much everyone.

OTOH, NC will have Bobby Frasor next year.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:20 AM

Nice game guys. Woot!

To all the people complaining about May pushing Powell around, let's be serious. Powell was making more of an attempt to fall over half the time than to defend May; as soon as May went up Powell flopped rather than contest the shot. Flopping repeatedly = no call all night.

I agree the officiating was very spotty, missing big calls and getting little ones. Having followed UNC all tourney I have noticed this the whole time. Particularly felt this was the case in the Nova game where Felton got two terrible, ticky tack fouls, one where he had the ball and was standing still.

Seriously, why give Jackie Manuel the ball, ever? The guy has hands of stone. Pretty sure he pulled another Shavlik tonight.

My pregame predictions were basically right. May dominates inside, Carolina perimeter defense steps up big in the first half and Illini never find a rhythm. With some better shot selection and ball-handling in the middle 10 minutes of the 2nd this game was not gonna be close. But that's UNC, they only play with urgency when they have to.

I love this team and I cannot be more impressed with May's heart, work ethic and skills. He has so many tools and he is such a smart player, I just tip my cap to him. Glad to see Felton come up in a big game too, as that was always my biggest complaint against him.

For those who don't think Roy deserves it, well, I agree he's not a great big game coach in terms of in-game calls and execution. If there was one thing I wish Carolina could be it's more disciplined and more of a unit, but I think their chemistry also springs somewhat from their looseness. Getting all that talent to play together is no easy task and Roy did it, so give him credit. Would he be able to lead Illinois or Duke's teams this year as well as their coaches did? Probably not, and I'll admit that. But different strokes, different programs, and I'm happy for him.

NT
Old 04-05-2005, 01:21 AM

G-d sometimes 2+2 can just frustrate you.

I make a post of something to the effect that UNC is gonna be a monster program in the future and Roy will get 1 or 2 more NC most likely in the long term.

People then enumerate the reasons why UNC wont win a NC next yr.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:26 AM

Default Re: Most anticipated final in years? Illinois-UNC official NCAA Thread

I agree--both teams are great teams and it's sad but one team has to lose. I've been a diehard Tarheel fan all my life and I know how it feels to lose the final game, especially when you feel your team has not played it's best game. Illinois had a great season, and if UNC had to lose, I wanted them to lose to the Illini, FWIW. Both teams played well, and have nothing to be ashamed of.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Would he be able to lead Illinois or Duke's teams this year as well as their coaches did? Probably not, and I'll admit that.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean, how Coach K led his team with a mere 7 McD All-Americans this year?

[OK, so Melchionni was only honorable mention, and Shelden Williams would have been unanimous if he hadn't been charged with sexual assault, but still...]

I'm sorry, I'm just bitter with the Coach K coaching love this season.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The dream is complete....

UNC beats Wisconsin in the Regional Finals. ---CHECK---
UNC beats Michigan St. the National Semis. ---CHECK---
UNC beats Illinois in the Finals. ---CHECK---

I rag every Big Ten supporter on 2+2 for a long, long time.

[/ QUOTE ]

DANGERGOODSON - I'm calling you out, sucka!!!!!! Ahhh hahahahahaha! ACC pwns!

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
It's just absurd to take the success of a couple of Big Ten programs, individual programs, and apply it to the conference as a whole. If anything, Illinois' great season is a testament to the lack of parity in the Big Ten - that's not taking anything away from Illinois, which has clearly been the best team in the nation this season.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
It's just absurd to take the success of one ACC program, an individual program, and apply it to the conference as a whole. If anything, UNC's great season is a testament to the lack of parity in the ACC - that's not taking anything away from UNC, which has clearly been the second best team in the nation this season. Dick Vitale, I want your babies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you remember this ownage and the end of your silly argument?
It's been a few days so I excuse your lack of memory.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:56 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Hmmm, I suppose the UNC underclassmen look talentless???

And of course an already attractive program winning a NC in a compelling games is horrible for recruiting.

I dont think talent is gonna be a problem @ UNC in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of May, McCants, Felton, and Marvin Williams, how many do you think are gonna be back next year? Add to that the loss of Jawad Williams and Manuel.

[/ QUOTE ]

And McCants is already gone. Williams, Felton, and May soon to follow. Yeah UNC is just gonna be loaded next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

5) North Carolina
Tyler Hansbrough (7)
Bobby Frasor (35)
Danny Green (41)
Marcus Ginyard (45)

Sorry, but I'd take that class. If JR Smith doesn't go pro the UNC championship isn't even in question this year. I know you hate UNC, but now you're just talking nonsense.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:35 AM

just arrived from STL.

My thoughts...they need to be consistent on the first half officiating. You can't let May run through someone and then call ingram and augie for going around him to swat entry passes, or powell getting clobbered on putbacks. That said, UNC took advantage of everything and won. Better shooting and/or better defense on inbounds plays and the couple fastbreaks...you can guess what I think happens.

I only saw Powell "flop" once, but he also took a shoulder to a chest from a damn big boy [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I honestly thought I would feel worse right now, but it still sucks. I also want to thank the rest of the crowd at the game for getting VERY VERY LOUD in the second half. I have no doubt that it helped.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:28 AM

stats to confirm: IL outrebounded, them 37-34, 8TO to 10 TO, 18 AST to 12 AST....just the 12/40 from 3 kills it. Even remotely close to season percentage leads to at least a win.

goddamn
Old 04-05-2005, 04:51 AM

I just got back from the quad at Illinois (I'm a student here).. the celebration was crazy. It was a dissapointing end to a season, because where we have been clutch in the past, we just f*cked up here, missing two huge threes at the end that would have sent it to OT or put us up. And James.. man. Could have been better. He should have been on May the whole game if he was just gonna pick up cheap ass fouls.

But yeah, crazy ass celebration all over the quad... 2000+ people, fireworks, even a drum circle that roamed around for like 3 hours. Blessed be the hippies.