Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2005, 09:35 PM

Default Re: I Can\'t Believe the Results of this Poll

[ QUOTE ]
No, 100 Grand = Candy Bar... The woman made an incorrect assumption and got taught a free lesson... Then they offered to teach her the lesson and give her $5,000, and she's still pissed!

[/ QUOTE ]

Try betting "100 Grand" with a bookie, and giving him a candy bar if you lose.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hate greedy bitches

[/ QUOTE ]

I voted she has a case in this poll. The poll question does not ask whether the station owes her $100K. It asks whether or not she has a case, which she certainly does. This is outright deception, whether it was with malicious intent or a simple joke. I do no blame her one bit for wanting to take action against this station, and I certainly can understand why 70% of the people agree with this. I do not think this is "greedy." The point where I disagree however, is that once she was offered $5000, that should have sufficed as compensation for her troubles.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you made a 100 grand bet with some dude and won, and then he tried giving you a candy bar, would you accept $5000 for your trouble?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know its not quite the same, but back when I was younger, we would always have dumb bets like this. "I will bet you 100 bucks I can beat you in a race" - the kid would let me win, then try to kick me in the ass 100 times. Or a bet for a 1000 dollars which would turn out to be 1000 doll hairs. I never got upset when I wasn't paid $100. Of course this is slightly different because this woman obviously (and perhaps rightfully so) took their offer seriously. It was intended as a joke, and they offered her a healthy sum for her troubles. I don't think this is unreasonable.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:22 PM

I remember reading about a Hooters waitress that won a new Toyota for winning some sort of sales contest.
On the presentation day, her manager gave her a new toy Yoda.
She sued Hooters and won.

She got a car.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
100 Grand DOLLARS

[/ QUOTE ]

100 grand = $100,000. Adding "dollars" at the end is redundant.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, 100 Grand = Candy Bar... The woman made an incorrect assumption and got taught a free lesson... Then they offered to teach her the lesson and give her $5,000, and she's still pissed!

[/ QUOTE ]

They "taught her a lesson"? Why does a radio station have to teach anyone a lesson? If anyone needs to be "taught a lesson" it's the DJ and the radio station for thinking they can toy with people like that.

This is what the DJ put in his blog the night before: "(we will present one of) our loyal listeners with a chance to Win 100 GRAND!!!! It's sitting in a bag to my left ready for someone to take off with just like the Runaway bride!" The tenth caller, he added, would be "100 GRAND RICHER!!! No joke."

He'll probably get nailed with the fact that he didn't say " A 100 Grand Richer" as opposed to what he did say: "100 Grand Richer". The former *could* mean a candy bar, the latter is phrased in such a way as to indicate that he could only be referring to money.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:33 PM

I know its not quite the same, but back when I was younger, we would always have dumb bets like this. "I will bet you 100 bucks I can beat you in a race" - the kid would let me win, then try to kick me in the ass 100 times.

Try living a country where the unit of currency is "pounds".
Old 06-25-2005, 10:47 PM

what a dumb whore.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:58 PM

I'd be pissed too. I don't think $5,000 would placate me in the least, but I'd take it just in case I couldn't get more.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone who goes on a spenging spree before they get the actual money is incredibly stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. I don't think the radio station is blameless, but I think that $5k is pretty generous, considering. I don't know if "100 Grand" is legally binding or anything, though it may have something to do with the intended perception.

I also think this is a way for the station to make a lot of enemies and have everybody thinking that this station will never have any prizes worth anything; it's a dumb move.

But, she should just take the $5k. She could lose that in legal costs and be stuck right back where she started.

Oh yeah, and if a pop-up ad on the internet told you that you won a new car would you give your car away to the first person you saw? Wacky radio promotions aren't much more trustworthy than that.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:22 AM

I'd probably take the $5k, b/c I'm a pushover, but I agree, this was a dumb trick.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:54 AM

didn't read the passed the first paragraph but I voted deception.