Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2005, 05:11 AM

Default 2 simple hands.

3-6 blinds, loos game and I'm UTG+1 with AcJc($800)

Decent UTG(400) calls I raise to 30, bad button(400), tight BB(300) and UTG call. BB plays with the goods post flop.

Flop: Ad Jc 5s

BB check, UTG checks, I check button checks.

Turn: 9d

BB bets 50, UTG raises to 125....I push

Hand 2:
I got about 600. I limp with KK UTG, and it's five to the flop with no raise.

Flop: 2 4 9 r

unkown small blind(300) bets 25, I make it 75, he calls. everyone else folds

Turn: 10 makes a flush draw.

He checks, I bets 75 he pushes.....I call

The call here seems not very good opinions?
Old 01-20-2005, 05:27 AM

Default Re: 2 simple hands.

I think you made both of these hands much more complicated then they had to be. In the first hand, I personally, would probably limp from UTG +1 with AJc in a full game. I dont think a raise is a bad idea at all though. I bet that flop everytime though. I dont think there is any reason to give any type of free card to let KQ hit his 10 or let a pair hit a set. The pot is 100ish so why not just take it down there? When the BB bets and then UTG raises I would probably call to see how the tight BB reacts to the UTG raise. The only hands that are going to call your push are hands that have you badly beaten! On the second hand I would raise preflop. Seeing that you didnt I think that your raise to 75 on the flop is fine. I would fold when he pushes because I think that is a play that someone only makes with turned two pair. The SB could have any two cards as you didnt raise preflop!
Old 01-20-2005, 05:46 AM

I'd probaly limp w AJ there, but don't hate your raise. That said, not betting the flop is a crime. After the situation you put yourself in, the push is, I guess, OK - but you better pray UTG has A9 and BB has A5.

Hand 2 is an obvious check behind on the turn.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:11 AM

hand 1: push is ok. But on flop u r the preflop raiser so u better bet 50 then turn bet 100-150 depend how much in pot.

hand 2: flop bet is good, turn SB only have 230 u bet so u must call his all in. I think turn it is better to check, river if he check I bet, if he bet I call
Old 01-20-2005, 10:45 AM

Hand 1 - bet the flop - don't give 99 a free draw to a set that then busts you.

Hand 2 - raise PF unless you're on am aggressive table that you are 95% sure will be raised behind you.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:24 PM

Okay, I've got a few free minutes at work, so I'll take a stab.

Hand 1:

Call the floor, there are too many Jc in this deck. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously, I don't care much for your line here. I usually wouldn't raise this PF, I don't hate it, but I usually prefer to limp. Given that you did raise, I think you have to bet the flop, especially if there is a 2-flush on board. Even if it's the Jh on board, you still want to charge draws here, and somebody with AK or AQ may play back at you. If a K, Q or T comes on the turn after you check that flop you are very likely to find yourself beat or getting no action from hands that might have put some money in on the flop. Also, unless you are in the habit of checking flops that you don't hit very hard a lot after raising pre-flop, you may make people suspicious that you flopped a monster. Especially if you are normally aggressive on hands that you raise with pf.

Hand 2:

Unless this is a serious abberation on a normally very aggressive table, I hate limping with K's UTG. Now that you did it though, and are seeing the flop 5-handed, I wouldn't be too crazy about getting all of my stack in unless I flopped a set. In this case I realize that you are much deeper than the SB so you won't have to, but I still probably wouldn't call his push here barring a LAG read on him. I think checking behind on the turn and trying to pick off a bluff on the river is a better plan.

I still consider myself a relative NL newbie, so take these opinions for what they're worth. You're mileage may vary.