Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2005, 04:03 AM

Default 5/10 party - top pair with meh kicker

Part 5/10, only 3 handed.

Villian seems aggresive the hands he plays but is a bit too tight. He raises preflop a resonable amount but not super often...maybe 1/4 of hands whene he is on the button at most. Post flop I havent seen him so anything crazy and he is not overly aggresive. I have a very lag image right now, raising most hands betting most flops ect.

I got KdTd in the BB, button raises to 40, I call.

Flop: Kc 9h 7h

I check he bets 60, I make it 200, he calls.

Turn: 5s

I check he bets 250, I call.

River: Ad

I check, he checks.

Do most of you let go on the turn here...I feel I should have made a smaller blocking bet like 200 and hope he checks behind on the river, If he doesnt check the river Im probably beat. Not sure. Anyhow all advice is welcome
Old 05-30-2005, 05:32 AM

Default Re: 5/10 party - top pair with meh kicker

You don't give the stack sizes (always important) but when he calls your checkraise there are 3 things possible: a) he can beat you, b) he has QQ-TT or middle pair and thinks you might be making a move with a drawing hand, or c) he is drawing himself. I would check/call as you did on the turn as well. What I would have done differently, though it is risky, is to bet the river around 400 since he might not like that A any more than you did, and if he called and beat me well that's poker. (It is important to keep in mind this is a very short table.)
Old 05-30-2005, 03:42 PM

stack sizes...he has 1k I got him covered.

I like the idea of betting the river...I considered it at the time but just chickened out, though in retrospect most hands he could be holding would have a tough time calling.

Any how can I get a couple more opinions on betting out vs checking the turn
Old 05-30-2005, 04:35 PM

Did you raise him on the flop to define his hand or take it down right there? I wouldn't feel too comforfortable with yor kicker Dank. He called your raise then bet $250 on the turn which tells you he is willing to play a big pot. I think the most likely hand here is KQ since he checked the Ace. I do not see yourself being good here unless you catch a ten for two pair. Fold the turn and wait for a better spot
Old 05-30-2005, 09:47 PM

I would prob lead or check-fold the turn. I'll often just call the flop too, then sometimes lead and sometimes check.