Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2005, 08:08 PM

Default Why no (Xn) believer should dispute Sklansky\'s theory:

I swear to my God that if David S. does not name his theory, then I will quit quoting/using it. It is simply too hard to refer to an unnamed theory. Especially given that its author’s (conceiver’s?) surname has too many consonants ( I have to always double check my spelling). David I implore you: Please name your theory! *

This is why no Christian (perhaps, I should limit this to Catholics) believer should deny the validity of David S.’s theory:

Very simple - we use it ourselves.

Our beliefs are based on the group of “geniuses” who formalized our religion. They were smarter than (most of) us. We are weighting our decisions to believe based on these top folk in our field. I am mostly referring to the original “Fathers” of our church. Irenaeus, Tertullian, Gregory of Nyssa, et al. -then folk like Augustine, Aquinas, not to mention any contemporary thinkers. Whether these folk technically can be called geniuses in the manner of David S.’s actually theory is not important to the issue.

For those who weren’t geniuses per se, who we rely on , then we use the caveat “…studied it as hard…” Here I am including those who “gave witness”. Observed - studied. Then you have the mystic writers/saints.

You didn’t think I forgot Jesus did you? I think even David, if he really understood the historical Jesus, would be hard pressed to not include him in the genius category.

So, if we can rely on the use of his theory for our belief, it is hard for me to argue why others should not rely on it for their on decision.

Btw, Xn is an abbreviation for the word Christian, for those who don’t know. I believe it comes from the X in the Latin word Pax meaning peace.

*I would prefer not using your surname in the theory’s title because of the spelling thing. But if you choose to I understand. Maybe something like: TOS (theory of Sklansky) you could use TOR (theory of religion) but it doesn’t fit exactly and the Franciscans already have the copyright there.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:36 PM

Default Re: Why no (Xn) believer should dispute Sklansky\'s theory:

[ QUOTE ]
Btw, Xn is an abbreviation for the word Christian, for those who don’t know. I believe it comes from the X in the Latin word Pax meaning peace.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always assumed it's because of the greek letter chi...

Edit: Apparently I am correct.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Why no (Xn) believer should dispute Sklansky\'s theory:

You might be completely correct. I just tried to do a search online and found a reference to the Latin letter X, but I wasn’t completely satisfied with what it said.

I seem to remember hearing about how people used to write pax and the x was made very large, etc.

There might be two different versions of its etymology out there.

You piqued my curiosity now.

Latin scholars?

Xns who know?

Anyone remember hearing anything like what I was thinking?