Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 01:15 AM

Default GSIH No-Limit Short Stack Strategy

Tried played the GSIH NL short stack strategy tonight. My question is when do you re-load back up to the minimum buy-in?

I would think there would be a line where it would be beneficial to do so because if you go too low you will not be making much on your all-in move.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:29 AM

Default Re: GSIH No-Limit Short Stack Strategy

[ QUOTE ]
Tried played the GSIH NL short stack strategy tonight. My question is when do you re-load back up to the minimum buy-in?

I would think there would be a line where it would be beneficial to do so because if you go too low you will not be making much on your all-in move.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you bust out, usually. Most hands that you put chips in with, you're going to end up putting all your chips in with them, if not before the flop then on the flop. So you're probably either going to double up (in which case you no longer have a short stack but a medium-sized one) or bust.

Although Miller does define a short stack as 20-25x the Bb, so I guess just to be safe just reload if you dip below that.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:52 AM

I just read the book today - great. You should reload when you do not have room for a good preflop and postflop bet. In a $1-$2 NL game, start with about $75-100, and you should be OK if you follow his advice. I think I will until I learn to become a better NL cash game player. That text was easily the best beginners book I've read.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
just read the book today - great. You should reload when you do not have room for a good preflop and postflop bet. In a $1-$2 NL game, start with about $75-100, and you should be OK if you follow his advice. I think I will until I learn to become a better NL cash game player. That text was easily the best beginners book I've read.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are trying to apply the Miller short stack strategy that is too high of a buy-in. For a 1/2 NL game you should buy in between $50-70
Old 05-10-2005, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just read the book today - great. You should reload when you do not have room for a good preflop and postflop bet. In a $1-$2 NL game, start with about $75-100, and you should be OK if you follow his advice. I think I will until I learn to become a better NL cash game player. That text was easily the best beginners book I've read.

[/ QUOTE ]

whaa? $75-$100 is 37.5-50x the big blind! that's not a short stack at all! In fact I think that would qualify (based on Miller's criteria) as a large stack.

In a $1-$2 NL game, if you want to use the "short stack" method, you should start with $40-$50.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:54 AM

If you are following his strategy correctly, there shouldn't be a line. You either doubled up or busted out.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:46 AM

What if you double up and dont have a short stack anymore. Should you switch to a new table and buy back in for a short stack again?

Greg
Old 05-10-2005, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What if you double up and dont have a short stack anymore. Should you switch to a new table and buy back in for a short stack again?

Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

In a live game, probably not (for one, it would take forever to get into another game. For two, you'd look like a friggin' idiot). But if you want to use the GSiH short stack method exclusively, then what I did personally is I'd leave the table at any point after my stack became a "medium" stack or better (25-100xBb). So basically once you win a pot, you're a medium stack and its time to move elsewhere (again, assuming that you want to play the short-stack method exclusively).
Old 05-10-2005, 11:29 AM

I play at the PokerStars 1/2 cents tables, where the minimum bankroll is $1.00. Two questions:

1. Does the Short Stack Strategy apply to micro-limits,
like my table?

2. Since the minimum is 50 BBs already, can one use the SSS?

I suppose it applies, just as long as one realizes you're risking the dollar when you go all-in. Average pots at 1/2 cents tables are not 6 or 8 cents, as one might guess. They are probably 75 cents, with occasional $5.00 pots.

Dave
Old 05-10-2005, 11:29 AM

This explains it better.

I have a local $1-$2 NL game, and the average buy-in is $200. There is a 250 max and no real min, but most people buy-in for 200. Thus, $100 really is a short stack when you look at the table - believe me, it could all be gone on one hand. $75 could be acceptable too, but I think you can group them both together due to their large deviations from the avg. buy-in.

Make sense? Comment if you're out there Ed!!

As for doubling up, I begin to play with a larger stack and utlize large stack poker tactics. I like to work my way up with easy wins, then use the money to play more complex, harder poker. This way, I can learn w/o losing money. In addition, you feel better since you are making harder moves with money that you already earned - I consider it a freeroll, and a way to safely get better at big stack NL.