Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Buy-in Question

With NL .25/.50 blinds, what should I buy-in for. Most player start with 10$ usually, and on some days they make it a min 20$ buy-in. Most of the players are LAG, and was wondering what would be a good amount to sit down with.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Buy-in Question

max buyin
Old 04-05-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With NL .25/.50 blinds, what should I buy-in for. Most player start with 10$ usually, and on some days they make it a min 20$ buy-in. Most of the players are LAG, and was wondering what would be a good amount to sit down with.

[/ QUOTE ]

As much as you can.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:21 PM

what if there is no limit to how much you can bring in?
Old 04-05-2005, 05:23 PM

Is this a home game? As the other posters have said, buy in as much as you can, or better yet as much as you are comfortable sitting with. $10 is 20bb, which is horrifically small stacks.

Give us some other stats on the game? Number of players, skill of players, your poker bankroll, etc.

Also, do you know what hands to play and how for shallow vs. deeps games?

-Trail
Old 04-05-2005, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a home game? As the other posters have said, buy in as much as you can, or better yet as much as you are comfortable sitting with. $10 is 20bb, which is horrifically small stacks.

Give us some other stats on the game? Number of players, skill of players, your poker bankroll, etc.

Also, do you know what hands to play and how for shallow vs. deeps games?

-Trail

[/ QUOTE ]

most of the players are weak, they overrate their hands and over bet them as well. usually they get about 5-10 people per table depending on the night. my bank roll, well i would feel comfortable sitting down with like 50-60 bucks. ive been playing mostly online MTTs and SnG. My home games are usually tournaments, and i havent played many cash games, but now that i have come to college, it seems that ring games are the way to go. what hands to play, yeah im pretty sure i know what hands to get involved with and what not to, but for the shallow and deep thing, i have no idea what that is. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] but other than that, i know most of the people who play are major LAG, and they also bet according to what hand they have. i rememeber one kids doubled the blind with an Ax suited, and very next hand raised 3.50 with KK. any other informatioin you would like to know, or anything youd like to explain to me would be great thanks.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:43 PM

Empty your life savings and go for it!

If everyone is buying in for $10 or 20, just double what they have. Buy in for 40, and if someone else gets a bigger stack than you, rebuy to cover if you're a better player than that person. If you're a bad player, keep buying in for $5 and just go wild. It's hard to make a mistake when you buy in for 10 BB.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:48 PM

yeah, i usually try to start with the most money at the table, and then when i do, people get upset, and buy more chips. you would advise me to buy in more when they do too, sounds like a good plan. say i do sit down with 40 when everyone starts with 20, how much would you say i have in my pocket, 80, 100, 200?
Old 04-05-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but for the shallow and deep thing, i have no idea what that is.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is essential in deciding what hands to play and alternatively, what to buy in for.

Are you familiar with pot odds? implied odds? continuation bets?

I guess until I know your familiarity with the game, I am not going to just tell you to buy in for everything you have and tell you to play solid. So how about a little bit about how YOU play and how much you know about poker?

I'm trying to be constructive here, not condescending, just so you know.

-Trail
Old 04-05-2005, 05:56 PM

If everyone else has $20, then $100 should be fine, unless you really like to gambool it up.