Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2005, 02:16 AM

Default Can I call with 9-4 suited?

I was playing at one of the 'Stars $50 NL games earlier, which happened to be a very good game. It was extremely wild, with people raising and calling raises preflop with just about anything except the worst low rags. I had been getting pretty lucky with suited connectors and relying on pot odds, and then this hand came up. PokerStars doesn't seem to want to send me my hand history at the moment, so I apologize.

I am in the big blind with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I believe four people limped from all positions, and then the small blind raises my blind to $1 from $0.50. Should I be calling here with any two cards? I'm pretty sure that I should be, as I felt pretty bad about folding it when I would've rivered a flush had I stayed in against the biggest LAG at the table.

I have one more question about preflop play at this kind of table. What about playing one-gapers, such as 6-4 suited or J-9 offsuit? Can I limp in any position and call raises when 4+ people are likely going to be in the pot with these holdings? I see these hands as having more multiway value than the average starting hands of these players. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:49 AM

Default Re: Can I call with 9-4 suited?

if you're going to play 94s there better be many players to the flop and play it for two pair.

i usually don't play worse than 87s to a min-raise anyways, it makes life much easier and a straight w/ 87s is usually good.

more importantly, concern yourself with whether the flop play is aggressive or passively. paying through the nose with a flush draw is no good, one that may be no good!