Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Give me a moving up plan!

I have been playing 2/4 for a significant session now and have the numbers to indicate I am beating the game for a decent rate. I have taken money out of my bankroll for various things and am now building up with the intention of moving up levels as appropriate. I have also dabbled for period in the 3/6 and 5/10 game with various degrees of success and learned a lot from those times. If anything I am a self proclaimed tight player with a weakish tinge in my game from time to time. My question is how would you plan on moving up and why would you stop at each level? My question is not bankroll oriented but in skill acquisition. Do you feel spending significant time at the short handed table is a must to develop as a player? IS playing the LAGGY 3/6 a must stop as well if the end result is moving into higher limits as a learning phase that must be taken? I guess to put it another way if bankroll was not an issue and you wanted to become a winning 20/40 player(but aren't stupid enough to jump in there) how would you go about progressing to develop the skills and experience needed from actual play(obviously reading here and books aside)? Are there key developmental stages from your development?

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Give me a moving up plan!

[ QUOTE ]
IS playing the LAGGY 3/6 a must stop as well if the end result is moving into higher limits as a learning phase that must be taken?

[/ QUOTE ]

Laggy doesnt fit here. These games are loose passive. 3/6 full ring is tight passive, or weak tight. Before I played some SH for a while I was about 15/7 at full ring. Now when I play full ring I am closer to the forum standard 18-20/10 and I feel like I have a much better grasp of full ring.

I wouldnt bother with 3/6 full ring. While the players there are still pretty bad, they are for the most part tight and you will find it a lot mroe boring than 2/4, where the fish abound. I would play a few sessions of 1/2 6-max with this hand chart and go to 3/6 6-max when you feel comfortable.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:01 PM

Maybe it has been some table selection weakness on my part but I have definitely been at some lag 3/6 tables where many players are aggressive with almost any piece. The 5/10 I found was much tighter and the aggression was more in line for lack of better terminology.
So I guess you are suggesting playing the short tables as a stepping stone on the way up?
Old 11-27-2005, 05:54 PM

In my (somewhat limited) experience, the 3/6 full tables are much tighter than the 2/4 tables. I don't have hardly any 6-max experience, but I expect to try the 1/2 6-max soon because I think it will be a big benefit in the 3/6 games and probably moreso at higher limits. Many pots at the 3/6 are contested short handed and I don't feel as comfortable with that type of play as I did at the 2/4. I have no experience with >3/6 online, so I can't offer any other suggestions, but I'm interested to read the responses. I hope to be at 15/30+ within a year, but 10/20 would be good enough.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:33 PM

I feel the same way.....at least on PP the 3/6 is much tighter and harder to beat than 2/4. I also desire to move up in limits. I beat all limits below 3/6 consistently working off bonuses but I am a break even 3/6 player. As you might have figured out I dont have an answer but I am interested in the answer.....

*****Perhaps you should have posted this in the medium stakes section since most of the people here probably play**** small stakes and wont be able to give you good advice on how to move up if they dont play there!