Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2005, 10:36 AM

Default Does anyone else in a touney look down at KK and QQ and think \"Oh No?\"

I know in MTT's I should be delighted to see these hands, but I don't seem to have much luck with them. If I push pre flop the ace always seems to come, and if I try to slow play and just call from EP i get about 6 callers behind me.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Does anyone else in a touney look down at KK and QQ and think \"Oh No?\"

No.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Does anyone else in a touney look down at KK and QQ and think \"Oh

F YA! is more like my normal reaction. Though with QQ I accept on some level that this is a hand that may very well bust me, though more than likley it will increase my stack size.

P
Old 09-25-2005, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Does anyone else in a touney look down at KK and QQ and think \"Oh No?\"

Nope, but I do with 72. Tough hand to get away from.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:39 AM

i think that sometimes if i get lucky to barely make it late into a tournament. And more often with 99-jj. Especially when a lag chip monster bets. Happened last night in the pacific 30k garenteed. First time making this final table as an average stack. I had made 2 raises pf and either had to fold preflop or on the flop so i was fairly low in chips. A big stack that had gone all in 4 times in a row with small pairs and connectors. only raised this time - not a push in late position. I'm on the button with 99 and know im beat since he didn't push like normal. But i prayed for AK and tossed my chips in, he flipped over QQ. I left 2 spots away from my goal - top 5 =).

I'm always happy to have QQ and KK. However, late in a tournament jj-99(maybe 88-77) seem to break me often.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:08 PM

I'm not fond of any large pocket pairs late in a tournament. In the last six large tournaments that I've played in, I've busted out or lost a majority of my chips because some donk sucked out on my pair with undercards or a lower pair. My favorite tournament hands are strong aces (AK, AQs).
Old 09-25-2005, 12:12 PM

Yeah I do, but only in the sense of "oh boy, here comes a chance to really misplay a hand, lets not try to F this one up too much". I mean this in the sense that it's a lot easier to post and fold, than actualy have to make a play. It's a lot easier to play a PP that turns into a set on the flop on a rainbow board, than it is KK or even AA. So when I'm thinking "oh no", I generally mean in mid/late stages of a tourney and

1. Am afraid of being married to a hand, like AK, that I could/should lay down in a situation.

2. Am somewhat afraid of being in a preflop situation where "I can tell he has aces here, but I have to push with QQ".
Old 09-25-2005, 12:15 PM

everyone who says they dont like their big pocket pairs, give em to me
Old 09-25-2005, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nope, but I do with 72. Tough hand to get away from.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 09-25-2005, 12:26 PM

Not "Oh, no" precisely, but I recognize that the chances are good that a lot of my chips are going into the middle before the hand is done, and when that happens I either chip-up or bust out. That's poker.

On a related note, if you never limped in EP with KK or QQ, it would not be a mistake.

Best,

Sam