Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2004, 11:22 PM

Default O8 shorthanded ?

I'm fairly new to O8 but I think I've got a decent handle on it.I've played four live tourneys for the experience and yesterday somehow I won against a field of 20,mostly old vets of the game.Once we got down to 5 people I found myself clueless as to what made a playable hand.The blinds were viscous at this point.1k/2k with bets of 2k/4k and only 30k total chips in play.I was aggresively playing any ace w/2 lows,any four high cards single or double siuted,high pairs.Basicly anything that could make a hand at this point.Bluffing was also quite effective.The old guys said I played a good game.I'd just like to really have the clue I was pretending to have.Is it more about muscle than cards at this point?
Old 09-04-2004, 03:42 AM

Default Re: O8 shorthanded ?

08 shorthanded is not really a commonly played game and it happens more frequently in latter stages of an 08 tournament. I believe it is Ray Zee who did mention in his book that when the table is short, the value of high cards increase and the value of small cards decrease. The play of the game becomes more like standard omaha hi. Because of the huge blind sizes, it can become prohibitively expensive to continuous draw for low cards on the 4th and 5th street.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:20 AM

Default Re: O8 shorthanded ?

The value of many high draws goes down as well. Of course in Omaha, some big draws with lots of outs have better chances than made hands, and those will still do well.